Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/17 22:41:13 UTC

openIptables with BYON machines: add to SoftwareProcess?

Hi all,

A customer is using a bring-your-own-node location, and wants to use
something akin to the JcloudsLocation's openIptables. In
JcloudsLocation, it will look at the inboundPorts configuration, and
open those ports in the iptables rules on the OS.

A fundamental question... is this the responsibility of the location, or
should this be in the entity (i.e. the location just does cloud config +
setup of the initial user, and then hands over the VM; whatever is on
the actual OS is the responsibility of the entity)?

I favour adding to SoftwareProcess the config keys:

  * openIptables (default true)
  * stopIptables (default false)
  * dontRequireTtyForSudo (default false - see
    BashCommands.dontRequireTtyForSudo for details)

These would be the first things done by the SoftwareProcess (prior to
executing the pre-install commands). The SoftwareProcess has access to
the inboundPorts (it passed those in when obtaining the machine).

Does this sound sensible? Comments much appreciated!

Aled

Re: openIptables with BYON machines: add to SoftwareProcess?

Posted by Sam Corbett <sa...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
True, but in that case I think whoever is putting both entities in the
same location is responsible for their configuration.

Sam

On 21/07/2015 12:50, Yavor Yanchev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can including openIptables on the SoftwareProcess cause some
> interference between different entities running on the same location?
>
> If one process has openIptables set to false, but some other changes
> it to true. Isn't the location a more suitable place to handle single
> configuration for multiple entities?
>
> Regards,
> Yavor
>
> On 07/20/2015 01:01 PM, Sam Corbett wrote:
>> Hi Aled,
>>
>> I favour including these parameters on the entity. Presumably it is the
>> software process being modelled that requires iptables opened or
>> stopped.
>>
>> Sam
>>

>> On 17 July 2015 at 21:41, Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> A customer is using a bring-your-own-node location, and wants to use
>>> something akin to the JcloudsLocation's openIptables. In
>>> JcloudsLocation,
>>> it will look at the inboundPorts configuration, and open those ports
>>> in the
>>> iptables rules on the OS.
>>>
>>> A fundamental question... is this the responsibility of the
>>> location, or
>>> should this be in the entity (i.e. the location just does cloud
>>> config +
>>> setup of the initial user, and then hands over the VM; whatever is
>>> on the
>>> actual OS is the responsibility of the entity)?
>>>
>>> I favour adding to SoftwareProcess the config keys:
>>>
>>>   * openIptables (default true)
>>>   * stopIptables (default false)
>>>   * dontRequireTtyForSudo (default false - see
>>>     BashCommands.dontRequireTtyForSudo for details)
>>>
>>> These would be the first things done by the SoftwareProcess (prior to
>>> executing the pre-install commands). The SoftwareProcess has access
>>> to the
>>> inboundPorts (it passed those in when obtaining the machine).
>>>
>>> Does this sound sensible? Comments much appreciated!
>>>
>>> Aled

message after it was sent.

Re: openIptables with BYON machines: add to SoftwareProcess?

Posted by Yavor Yanchev <ya...@yanchev.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sam Corbett <sa...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Aled,

I favour including these parameters on the entity. Presumably it is the
software process being modelled that requires iptables opened or stopped.

Sam

On 17 July 2015 at 21:41, Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A customer is using a bring-your-own-node location, and wants to use
> something akin to the JcloudsLocation's openIptables. In JcloudsLocation,
> it will look at the inboundPorts configuration, and open those ports in the
> iptables rules on the OS.
>
> A fundamental question... is this the responsibility of the location, or
> should this be in the entity (i.e. the location just does cloud config +
> setup of the initial user, and then hands over the VM; whatever is on the
> actual OS is the responsibility of the entity)?
>
> I favour adding to SoftwareProcess the config keys:
>
>  * openIptables (default true)
>  * stopIptables (default false)
>  * dontRequireTtyForSudo (default false - see
>    BashCommands.dontRequireTtyForSudo for details)
>
> These would be the first things done by the SoftwareProcess (prior to
> executing the pre-install commands). The SoftwareProcess has access to the
> inboundPorts (it passed those in when obtaining the machine).
>
> Does this sound sensible? Comments much appreciated!
>
> Aled

message after it was sent.