Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kevin Galligan <kg...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/14 13:42:24 UTC

linux client

I'm sure this has been talked about over and over, but I need some good
direction here.  I've been developing on windows for quite some time.  I
have a shared server that is linux based, and have decided to also do my
development in linux for various reasons.  There's a lot that I like about
it, and initially had a really good feeling about it.  However, its the
little things are getting to me.  One of them is the subversion support.  I
use ubuntu, and have come to terms with the fact that I can't just download
the latest subversion and run it.  However, there's no tortoisesvn.  This
one app is almost enough to get me to switch back.  From what I've found,
the linux users seem to prefer the cli.  Anybody have another option?  No
offense to rapid, but I've never liked it.  I have it installed now, and
again its missing the little things.  For example, I'd like to right-click
and select ignore on a directory.  You can select the '.' directory, and add
'svn:ignore' with the directory as a value, but its clunky.  Also, I had to
build 9.1 from source, and there is apparently no ssl support.  I know, you
can build it in.  Its just such a pain to build from source every time you
want to install something.  I've tried to build subcommander, but can get
past configure.

So, any thoughts?  I hate to sound like I'm complaining about free
software.  Love subversion.  Want to be on linux.  Love tortoise.  If I can
find a decent gui I'll stick around for a while, but can't come to a
conclusion.  I also have a hard time trying some out, like subcommander,
because of the startup time (source builds).

I have smartsvn installed, but the documentation and the actual client don't
seem to jive.  I'm also not sure what is a pay feature and what isn't, and I
think I'd rather go back to windows, which I already own, than pay for a
client on linux.  Unless there's something really sweet that I haven't seen
yet.

Maybe I should use a different linux distribution?  Maybe fedora has
newer/more pre-built packages?  So far the user experience of ubuntu has
been great so I'm reluctant to switch, but it would be a possibility.

Thanks

Re: linux client

Posted by Adam Gibson <ag...@ptm.com>.
Kevin Galligan wrote:
> I'm sure this has been talked about over and over, but I need some good
> direction here.  I've been developing on windows for quite some time.  I
> have a shared server that is linux based, and have decided to also do my
> development in linux for various reasons.  There's a lot that I like
> about it, and initially had a really good feeling about it.  However,
> its the little things are getting to me.  One of them is the subversion
> support.  I use ubuntu, and have come to terms with the fact that I
> can't just download the latest subversion and run it.  However, there's
> no tortoisesvn.  This one app is almost enough to get me to switch
> back.  From what I've found, the linux users seem to prefer the cli.
> Anybody have another option?  No offense to rapid, but I've never liked
> it.  I have it installed now, and again its missing the little things.
> For example, I'd like to right-click and select ignore on a directory.
> You can select the '.' directory, and add 'svn:ignore' with the
> directory as a value, but its clunky.  Also, I had to build 9.1 from
> source, and there is apparently no ssl support.  I know, you can build
> it in.  Its just such a pain to build from source every time you want to
> install something.  I've tried to build subcommander, but can get past
> configure.
>
> So, any thoughts?  I hate to sound like I'm complaining about free
> software.  Love subversion.  Want to be on linux.  Love tortoise.  If I
> can find a decent gui I'll stick around for a while, but can't come to a
> conclusion.  I also have a hard time trying some out, like subcommander,
> because of the startup time (source builds).
>
> I have smartsvn installed, but the documentation and the actual client
> don't seem to jive.  I'm also not sure what is a pay feature and what
> isn't, and I think I'd rather go back to windows, which I already own,
> than pay for a client on linux.  Unless there's something really sweet
> that I haven't seen yet.
>
> Maybe I should use a different linux distribution?  Maybe fedora has
> newer/more pre-built packages?  So far the user experience of ubuntu has
> been great so I'm reluctant to switch, but it would be a possibility.

Have you tried the Eclipse ide with the subclipse plugin?  You could try
to install them yourself if your distro does not package them.  The
subversion integration seems very feature rich and the IDE's
auto-complete and outline features are better than any other free linux
IDE I have seen so far.

On Linux it can be tricky to get the subversion-javahl to work properly
(needs LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to where the subversion-javahl .so files are)
  but once working it is a nice solution.  You will need java installed
and setup properly to run also.

With Fedora eclipse is available to install through yum by default (yum
install eclipse-cdt).  You just need to install it and then go to
subclipse.tigris.org for instructions on how to install that plugin
through the help menu of eclipse.  You will also need to yum install
subversion-javahl package for subclipse which also requires java to be
installed.  You will also need to make sure you set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib before running eclipse because eclipse wont
find the javahl .so files.

I am still blown away by how many features subclipse has(It has a right
click ignore feature) and I am still learning about it.  Eclipse works
on Windows and Linux so you can transition if you need to from one
platform to another.

Re: linux client

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
Kevin Galligan wrote:
> I'm sure this has been talked about over and over, but I need some
> good direction here.  I've been developing on windows for quite some
> time.  I have a shared server that is linux based, and have decided to
> also do my development in linux for various reasons.  There's a lot
> that I like about it, and initially had a really good feeling about
> it.  However, its the little things are getting to me.  One of them is
> the subversion support.  I use ubuntu, and have come to terms with the
> fact that I can't just download the latest subversion and run it.
> However, there's no tortoisesvn.  This one app is almost enough to get
> me to switch back.  From what I've found, the linux users seem to
> prefer the cli.  Anybody have another option?  No offense to rapid,
> but I've never liked it.  I have it installed now, and again its
> missing the little things.  For example, I'd like to right-click and
> select ignore on a directory.  You can select the '.' directory, and
> add 'svn:ignore' with the directory as a value, but its clunky.  Also,
> I had to build 9.1 from source, and there is apparently no ssl
> support.  I know, you can build it in.  Its just such a pain to build
> from source every time you want to install something.  I've tried to
> build subcommander, but can get past configure.
>
> So, any thoughts?  I hate to sound like I'm complaining about free
> software.  Love subversion.  Want to be on linux.  Love tortoise.  If
> I can find a decent gui I'll stick around for a while, but can't come
> to a conclusion.  I also have a hard time trying some out, like
> subcommander, because of the startup time (source builds).
>
> I have smartsvn installed, but the documentation and the actual client
> don't seem to jive.  I'm also not sure what is a pay feature and what
> isn't, and I think I'd rather go back to windows, which I already own,
> than pay for a client on linux.  Unless there's something really sweet
> that I haven't seen yet.
>
> Maybe I should use a different linux distribution?  Maybe fedora has
> newer/more pre-built packages?  So far the user experience of ubuntu
> has been great so I'm reluctant to switch, but it would be a possibility.
>
> Thanks
Hi Kevin,

What is your GUI?  I am running KDE which has a Subversion shell
extension and I like it.  It still isn't quite as good as TortoiseSVN,
but it is much closer than the other two you mention.

As far as the distribution - I'm not familiar with what Ubuntu can do,
but I definitely like SUSE.

Regards,
Frank

Re: linux client

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Welcome to Debian....
Posted by Kevin Galligan <kg...@gmail.com>.

Re: linux client

Posted by Kevin Galligan <ma...@kgalligan.com>.

Re: linux client

Posted by Kevin Galligan <ma...@kgalligan.com>.
Well, I would argue a couple things here.

#1, svn:ignore is a special property.  Its recognized and treated in a
special way by clients including rapid in the way it displays the tree.
Because its stored as other properties doesn't mean its exactly the same.

#2 Multi-step, non-obvious procedures tend to be forgotten.  I set
'svn:ignore' last night on a directory, and I'd have to look up the process
again today just to be sure I was doing it right.  Its a quesiton of
convenience.

#3 Having used tortoise and seen this feature in use, all other arguments
aside, its just nice to have.  Also found (to some degree) on subclipse.

I won't argue that it *should* be there.  That's a value judgement that I
don't want to imply.  As a developer I can understand the clarity of
adhering to the basic functionalty of the tool.  However, right-clicking and
selecting 'ignore' on a directory is a sweet feature.  If somebody forked
the rapid source and added 'ignore', assuming the same version, given the
choise of rapid with and without that feature, I'd install the one with.

Personal preference.

Re: linux client

Posted by Andrew Goodnough <An...@wicourts.gov>.

Re: linux client

Posted by Kevin Galligan <ma...@kgalligan.com>.
Try rapidsvn.  If you have a folder with an existing working copy on your
file system, you can "point" rapid at that.  So, "point" instead of "mount"
then I guess.

Mount, as a word, has a pretty clear general meaning.  I think its funny, so
I go with that.

The cli doesn't have any parallel here because you just cd into that
directory.  A gui tool would either look at the whole file system, or you
would have to add each working copy you want to access.  The process of
adding that working copy is what I've called "mount" or "point".

Re: linux client

Posted by George Georgalis <ge...@galis.org>.

Re: linux client

Posted by Kevin Galligan <kg...@gmail.com>.

Re: linux client

Posted by George Georgalis <ge...@galis.org>.

Re: linux client

Posted by Kevin Galligan <ma...@kgalligan.com>.
(Grr.  I keep sending from the wrong email.  Sorry if you get this twice...)

On the contrary, I use eclipse at both home and work, on windows and linux,
for all development that I do.  I've read quite a bit on the plugin
framework, and had I the time I'd probably be building extensions for random
nerdly causes.  But time is short.

I'm using 3.1.2 with subclipse.  I think the subversion integration is
great, but there are limitations around using it in eclipse.  For example, I
use maven to build my applications.  In eclipse, each maven target is a
project, but you can't have a parent project and subproject at the top level
in eclipse.  So, if you wanted to managed the whole tree in one operation,
you need to do it outside of eclipse.  You know what I mean?  The other
issue is that, essentially, everything needs to be a project.  So if I
checked something out from a remote repository I couldn't just have it
laying around.  I'd need to set up a basic project for it.  End of the
world?  No.  Just looking for something outside of that structure.  The
repository browser is pretty sweet though.  In all I think subclipse is
great.  I run a small group of developers at my day job, and after many
months of pressure I got them to allow me to migrate to eclipse, maven, and
finally also subversion (VSS previously.  Blah).

Re: linux client

Posted by Kevin Galligan <kg...@gmail.com>.

Re: linux client

Posted by Kevin Galligan <ma...@kgalligan.com>.
I had never even heard of them, and I'm embarrassed by that considering my
hobby of playing in a band.  I did, however, enjoy a little wiki surf on
their behalf...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Black

Re: linux client

Posted by Andy Peters <de...@latke.net>.

Re: linux client

Re: linux client

Posted by "brinkleybw@bigfoot.com" <br...@gmail.com>.
Kevin,

Nautilus does allow the user to add items to the "context" menu, so that you
can execute scripts when right-clicking on one or more files.  Here's a
synopsis:
http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/faq.php

I did a quick search to see if any such scripts exist for svn and found at
least this one page...
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Nautilus-Scripts-for-Subversion-4316.shtml

Cheers!
-Brandon

Re: linux client

Posted by "brinkleybw@bigfoot.com" <br...@gmail.com>.
I am a Ubuntu user as well and though I don't mind using the command-line, a
decent GUI would be nice.  Here's some upcoming stuff:

NaughtySVN (http://naughtysvn.tigris.org/)
JSVN (http://jsvn.alternatecomputing.com/)

-Brandon

Re: linux client

Posted by Kevin Galligan <ma...@kgalligan.com>.
(Sorry, you may get this twice.  Messed up the sending...)

Hmm...  Ok, so, in summary, I should try kdesvn.  Any other thoughts?  The
client doesn't really have to be built into a file exploer (konqueror,
nautilius, etc.).  Just fairly clear and functional.

For example, rapid's lack of a simple 'svn:ignore' property add.  I've also
had some trouble with the menus, which I assume is due to a version issue
with wxWindows.  Also, I built from source and bungled the ssl support, so I
can only use it local anyway.

I really like the way tortoise pops up the list of files changed, not under
source control, etc. when you go to check in.  Simple stuff like that.

Re: linux client

Posted by Kevin Galligan <kg...@gmail.com>.

Re: linux client

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.

Re: linux client

Re: linux client

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
Kevin Galligan wrote:
> Well, here's a general question about linux.  I've installed kde apps
> on gnome without trouble, including klipper and konqueror.  Is there
> any reason kdesvn wouldn't work in the same way?

Assuming all dependencies are met, no.  It should work.

I think this is the one big shortfall of all of these Linux
distributions out there today - to many programs with to many
dependencies on one flavor of a package or another.

I've talked to a couple of other programmers who won't code for Linux
because they don't want to put users through dependency hell if the user
doesn't have the right stuff.  Seems strange to me since there are
Windows programs that may require .NET 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, or other
pre-installed programs (dependencies).  But that is their prerogative.

Regards,
Frank

Re: linux client

Posted by Kevin Galligan <ma...@kgalligan.com>.

Re: linux client

Posted by Kevin Galligan <ma...@kgalligan.com>.
A month or 2 back, I was lamenting the loss of clipmate from windows.  Its a
clipboard tool that holds multiple clipboard entries.  The only thing I saw
like this in linux is klipper, but I'm on gnome.  I just ran 'apt-get
install klipper', and it worked without problems.  This is one of those
things that I was very impressed with during my initial linux experiences.

kdesvn appears to only be in the next version of ubuntu's repositories.  I'm
a little concerned that trying to install that might update some packages
and create issues with my install, so I'd either need to do a general update
to the next version, or hold off for a bit.

Re: linux client

Re: linux client

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.

Re: linux client