Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org> on 2009/09/29 22:56:38 UTC

Repository Plugin: Should SCM be Required??

Hi,

I've been having a conversation with Jason and some others lately about
the repository plugin, and the fact that it doesn't require the SCM
section of the POM. POMs with this section missing disable the project
materialization features that some of the more recent Maven tooling
(m2eclipse in my personal experience) takes advantage of.

Materialization is a HUGE benefit to developers, as I can testify. IMO,
no OSS project should publish a POM for upload that doesn't specify an
SCM location...it's insane to even pretend you have a project without an
SCM, and if it's an OSS project, that SCM should probably have a public
view. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of all OSS licensing, or whether
a publicly available SCM is required for these licenses, but there is a
clear benefit to having that access.

I've filed http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MREPOSITORY-19 to address
what Jason and I both consider a shortcoming, but I also noticed
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MREPOSITORY-2, which originally took
this requirement out of the plugin. Can we say that the use case driving
that decision is obsolete?

I'm also working on another approach, a "disableMaterialization" flag
that would allow the bundling to proceed in spite of missing SCM
information. However, this is probably over-engineering if we can agree
that SCM information should be present for anything hosted in central.

Thoughts?

-john

Re: Repository Plugin: Should SCM be Required??

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
There is no requirements for open sources project to offer access to a
repository : http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd

So recommending it is good, but make it mandatory would be excessive.

Gilles Scokart

Re: Repository Plugin: Should SCM be Required??

Posted by Albert Kurucz <al...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Brett, Gilles, Daniel.
Gilles, thanks for that reference, I think we should all learn from that!

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
I agree with Brett.    Strongly recommend, but not require.

Dan

On Wed September 30 2009 12:57:34 am Brett Porter wrote:
> I think any rule needs to be enforced on the server side as much as in
> the repository plugin too.
>
> For mine, I think strongly recommending SCM is a good idea, but we do
> allow artifacts that are redistributable and not open source and so it
> should not be required. If you were to get fancy you could tighten the
> requirement for those that specify an open source license.
>
> You might also consider an associated source bundle in the repository
> a suitable replacement for the SCM element?
>
> Anyway, strongly recommending/defaulting is one thing, but I wouldn't
> get into the practice of rejecting things that don't provide it.
>
> - Brett
>
> On 30/09/2009, at 6:56 AM, John Casey wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been having a conversation with Jason and some others lately
> > about the repository plugin, and the fact that it doesn't require
> > the SCM section of the POM. POMs with this section missing disable
> > the project materialization features that some of the more recent
> > Maven tooling (m2eclipse in my personal experience) takes advantage
> > of.
> >
> > Materialization is a HUGE benefit to developers, as I can testify.
> > IMO, no OSS project should publish a POM for upload that doesn't
> > specify an SCM location...it's insane to even pretend you have a
> > project without an SCM, and if it's an OSS project, that SCM should
> > probably have a public view. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of all
> > OSS licensing, or whether a publicly available SCM is required for
> > these licenses, but there is a clear benefit to having that access.
> >
> > I've filed http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MREPOSITORY-19 to address
> > what Jason and I both consider a shortcoming, but I also noticed
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MREPOSITORY-2 , which originally took
> > this requirement out of the plugin. Can we say that the use case driving
> > that decision is obsolete?
> >
> > I'm also working on another approach, a "disableMaterialization"
> > flag that would allow the bundling to proceed in spite of missing
> > SCM information. However, this is probably over-engineering if we
> > can agree that SCM information should be present for anything hosted
> > in central.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > -john

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Repository Plugin: Should SCM be Required??

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Albert Kurucz <al...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Jörg.
<scm> is just another "required" information, which helps nothing but
it may lead to corruption.
OSS projects should be allowed to protect their version control server
with a firewall.
Many <scm>-s of different artifacts, with the same ip address of
192.168... would be ugly and confusing.
If the source bundle is there, (bonus if that is "buildable"), then it
is still a 100% correct OSS release.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Albert Kurucz <al...@gmail.com>.
You can turn a quality of something to be a requirement only if that
something can be verified at any given time. How about <scm></scm>?
Would you accept this? Not bbecause you want to verify that you can
connect to the server? What if the server is down because of
maintenance? Or it is behind a firewall? Acceptance verification
should be automated as much as possible to avoid the human error.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
On 2009-09-29, at 2:14 PM, Jesse McConnell wrote:

> [...]

>>> available SCM is required for these licenses, but there is a clear
>>> benefit
>>> to having that access.
>>>
>>> I've filed http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MREPOSITORY-19 to
>>> address what
>>> Jason and I both consider a shortcoming, but I also noticed
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MREPOSITORY-2, which originally
>>> took this
>>> requirement out of the plugin. Can we say that the use case
>>> driving that
>>> decision is obsolete?
>>>
>>> I'm also working on another approach, a "disableMaterialization"
>>> flag that
>>> would allow the bundling to proceed in spite of missing SCM
>>> information.
>>> However, this is probably over-engineering if we can agree that SCM
>>> information should be present for anything hosted in central.

Jason

Re: Repository Plugin: Should SCM be Required??

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
I think having it even if over time it rots, is better than having
nothing to start with. Bottom line is that we will want this in
central and will look to automate enforcement, so the bundle plugin
should line up with that process to simplify life for everyone.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
On 2009-09-29, at 1:56 PM, John Casey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been having a conversation with Jason and some others lately
> about the repository plugin, and the fact that it doesn't require
> the SCM section of the POM. POMs with this section missing disable
> the project materialization features that some of the more recent
> Maven tooling (m2eclipse in my personal experience) takes advantage
> of.

And just as importantly that the build could actually be replicated
from the information in the deployment. Materialization is one great
benefit, but knowing where the source of the artifact came from is
actually more important. It should be a requirement in my opinion.

> Materialization is a HUGE benefit to developers, as I can testify.
> IMO, no OSS project should publish a POM for upload that doesn't
> specify an SCM location...it's insane to even pretend you have a
> project without an SCM, and if it's an OSS project, that SCM should
> probably have a public view. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of all
> OSS licensing, or whether a publicly available SCM is required for
> these licenses, but there is a clear benefit to having that access.
>
> I've filed http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MREPOSITORY-19 to address
> what Jason and I both consider a shortcoming, but I also noticed http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MREPOSITORY-2
> , which originally took this requirement out of the plugin. Can we
> say that the use case driving that decision is obsolete?
>
> I'm also working on another approach, a "disableMaterialization"
> flag that would allow the bundling to proceed in spite of missing
> SCM information. However, this is probably over-engineering if we
> can agree that SCM information should be present for anything hosted
> in central.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -john

Jason