Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by fr...@neuni.com on 2005/03/21 18:36:36 UTC

Newbie help

Hi,

Please, can someone help me get started with this. I've used v4.x before,
and it was very simple to just create your own dir with the necessary
web.xml etc. and the deploy simple servlets.

Now, I've downloaded JWSDP and tomcat50-jwsdp, and nothing makes sense anymore.

What I want to do is the following:

- create a directory in the /webapps dir, and place my small servlets in that
  dir and run them.

Can someone give me a quick how-to for that? The JWSDP talks about "putting your
war-files in the /webapps dir", but says nothing more about it. Do I have to
develop heaps of other things just to be able to test-run a few simple
servlets?

Thanks,
Frank Høvin

Re: Newbie help

Posted by Frank Høvin <fr...@neuni.com>.
>I don't know anything about JWSDP, but have you read the setup and
>configuration pages for the version of Tomcat you're using? e.g.,
>   <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/index.html>
>
>That's the "how-to" you're looking for, I suspect...

Yah, I tried, but I found it much more confusing than I thought, so I went
back to Tomcat 4.01 and installed a plugin for Eclipse. Thanks for
replying, though .-)

Re: Newbie help

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@webtuitive.com>.
frank@neuni.com wrote:

> Now, I've downloaded JWSDP and tomcat50-jwsdp, and nothing makes sense anymore.
>
> What I want to do is the following:
>
> - create a directory in the /webapps dir, and place my small servlets in that
>   dir and run them.

I don't know anything about JWSDP, but have you read the setup and
configuration pages for the version of Tomcat you're using? e.g.,
   <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/index.html>

That's the "how-to" you're looking for, I suspect...

                           dream.  code.