Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by geeky2 <ge...@hotmail.com> on 2012/04/24 22:28:36 UTC

faceted searches - design question - facet field not part of qf search fields

hello all,

this is more of a design / newbie question on how others combine faceted
search fields in to their requestHandlers.

say you have a request handler set up like below.

does it make sense (from a design perspective) to add a faceted search field
that is NOT part of the main search fields (itemNo, productType, brand) in
the qf param?

for example, augment the requestHandler below to include a faceted search on
itemDesc?

would this be confusing ? - to be searching across three fields - but
offering faceted suggestions on itemDesc?

just trying to understand how others approach this

thanks

  <requestHandler name="generalSearch" class="solr.SearchHandler"
default="false">
    <lst name="defaults">
      <str name="defType">edismax</str>
      <str name="echoParams">all</str>
      <int name="rows">10</int>
      <str name="qf">itemNo^1.0 productType^.8 brand^.5</str>
      <str name="q.alt">*:*</str>
    </lst>
    <lst name="appends">
     </lst>
    <lst name="invariants">
      <str name="facet">false</str>
    </lst>
  </requestHandler>

Re: faceted searches - design question - facet field not part of qf search fields

Posted by geeky2 <ge...@hotmail.com>.
thank you BOTH, Erick and Hos for the insight.

Re: faceted searches - design question - facet field not part of qf search fields

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
:
: The user as search terms like "my dog has fleas" and your query
: looks like
: q=my dog has fleas&fq=timestamp:[NOW/DAY TO NOW/DAY+1DAY]
: and the user sees all documents with those terms added since midnight
: last night. No confusion at all...

right ... wether the facets are useful or confusing has nothing to do with
wether the fields are in your "qf" ... what matters is what you *do* with
those facet counts once you have them.

if you over the user the ability to filter on a constraint (which is what
most people do with facet info) then as long as you generate that filter
using hte same field, as an fq, then everything should make sense.

if instead you just try to add the constraint to your main "q" query
string, as an additional clause, then that is likely to make no sense at
all, since the terms from your facet field may not have any bearing on the
fields you are querying against.

-Hoss

Re: faceted searches - design question - facet field not part of qf search fields

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
No problem here at all, it's done all the time. Consider a popular
facet series "in the last day", "in the last week", "in the last month"...
There's no reason you have to facet on the fields that are
searched on.

The user as search terms like "my dog has fleas" and your query
looks like
q=my dog has fleas&fq=timestamp:[NOW/DAY TO NOW/DAY+1DAY]
and the user sees all documents with those terms added since midnight
last night. No confusion at all...

Best
Erick