Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com> on 2013/10/12 01:51:50 UTC

high availability

i have been playing with high availability using journalnodes and 2 masters
both running namenode and hbase master.

when i kill the namenode and hbase-master processes on the active master,
the failover is perfect. hbase never stops and a running map-reduce jobs
keeps going. this is impressive!

however when instead of killing the proceses i kill the entire active
master machine, the transactions is less smooth and can take a long time,
at least it seems this way in the logs. this is because ssh fencing fails
but keeps trying. my fencing is configured as:

 <property>
    <name>dfs.ha.fencing.methods</name>
    <value>
      sshfence
      shell(/bin/true)
    </value>
    <final>true</final>
  </property>

it is unclear to me if the transition in this case is also rapid but the
fencing takes long while the new namenode is already active, or if in this
period i am stuck without an active namenode. it is hard to accurately test
this in my setup.
is this supposed to take this long? is HDFS writable in this period? and is
hbase supposed to survive this long transition?

thanks! koert

Re: high availability

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2012/10/quorum-based-journaling-in-cdh4-1/

Old version (4.1) but the principle is still the same.

*No requirement for custom fencing configuration *- fencing methods such as
STONITH <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STONITH> require custom hardware;
instead, we should rely only on software methods.

Bertrand

PS: But then the only true validation is by testing it.

Bertrand Dechoux

Re: high availability

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >> the NN can only become active after fencing the old active NN. During
> >> this period since the only NN is in standby state which cannot handle
> >> usual R/W operations and just throws StandbyException, hbase region
> >> server may kill itself in some cases I guess.
> >>
> >> I think you can remove sshfence from the configuration if you are
> >> using QJM-based HA.

> jobs

> the
> and

> >> --
> >> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity
> reader
> >> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> >> that
> >> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

Bertrand Dechoux

Re: high availability

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >> the NN can only become active after fencing the old active NN. During
> >> this period since the only NN is in standby state which cannot handle
> >> usual R/W operations and just throws StandbyException, hbase region
> >> server may kill itself in some cases I guess.
> >>
> >> I think you can remove sshfence from the configuration if you are
> >> using QJM-based HA.

> jobs

> the
> and

> >> --
> >> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity
> reader
> >> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> >> that
> >> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

Bertrand Dechoux

Re: high availability

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >> the NN can only become active after fencing the old active NN. During
> >> this period since the only NN is in standby state which cannot handle
> >> usual R/W operations and just throws StandbyException, hbase region
> >> server may kill itself in some cases I guess.
> >>
> >> I think you can remove sshfence from the configuration if you are
> >> using QJM-based HA.

> jobs

> the
> and

> >> --
> >> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity
> reader
> >> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> >> that
> >> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

Bertrand Dechoux

Re: high availability

Posted by Jing Zhao <ji...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

>> >     </value>
>> >     <final>true</final>
>> >   </property>
>> >
>> > it is unclear to me if the transition in this case is also rapid but the
>> > fencing takes long while the new namenode is already active, or if in
>> > this
>> > period i am stuck without an active namenode. it is hard to accurately
>> > test
>> > this in my setup.
>> > is this supposed to take this long? is HDFS writable in this period? and
>> > is
>> > hbase supposed to survive this long transition?
>> >
>> > thanks! koert
>>
>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: high availability

Posted by Jing Zhao <ji...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

>> >     </value>
>> >     <final>true</final>
>> >   </property>
>> >
>> > it is unclear to me if the transition in this case is also rapid but the
>> > fencing takes long while the new namenode is already active, or if in
>> > this
>> > period i am stuck without an active namenode. it is hard to accurately
>> > test
>> > this in my setup.
>> > is this supposed to take this long? is HDFS writable in this period? and
>> > is
>> > hbase supposed to survive this long transition?
>> >
>> > thanks! koert
>>
>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: high availability

Posted by Jing Zhao <ji...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

>> >     </value>
>> >     <final>true</final>
>> >   </property>
>> >
>> > it is unclear to me if the transition in this case is also rapid but the
>> > fencing takes long while the new namenode is already active, or if in
>> > this
>> > period i am stuck without an active namenode. it is hard to accurately
>> > test
>> > this in my setup.
>> > is this supposed to take this long? is HDFS writable in this period? and
>> > is
>> > hbase supposed to survive this long transition?
>> >
>> > thanks! koert
>>
>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: high availability

Posted by Jing Zhao <ji...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

>> >     </value>
>> >     <final>true</final>
>> >   </property>
>> >
>> > it is unclear to me if the transition in this case is also rapid but the
>> > fencing takes long while the new namenode is already active, or if in
>> > this
>> > period i am stuck without an active namenode. it is hard to accurately
>> > test
>> > this in my setup.
>> > is this supposed to take this long? is HDFS writable in this period? and
>> > is
>> > hbase supposed to survive this long transition?
>> >
>> > thanks! koert
>>
>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: high availability

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.
Jing,