Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2014/12/14 14:16:12 UTC

[4.14] testing is easy!

Hi,

To all who think that helping out on a release is difficult and time
consuming... it is not!

All it takes is to fire up the Installer, right click anywhere, select
"Show Dev Builds" and chose "Apache Flex SDK 4.14 RC" from the
'version' dropdown and download. Then open your IDE and try to build
and run some of your existing projects. Report back to this list, with
a simple email (use the [4.14] prefix) telling us what, if anything
you found. Even (especially?) if you found nothing. That's it!

Thanks for helping to make this release the best one yet!

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.
I have 2 networks. One is corporate network and the other is a 'guest'
network.

Generally Flex SDK(any version for that matter) do not get installed for
some reason when I am connected to corporate network. But when I connect to
guest network, it gets installed without any issues.

But for 4.14, when I connect to guest network, following link doesn't open
up:
http://apacheflexbuild.cloudapp.net:8080/job/flex-sdk_release-candidate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/out/apache-flex-sdk-installer-config.xml

But it does open, when I am connected back to corporate network.

But in subsequent steps,  this link doesn't open up:
http://apacheflexbuild.cloudapp.net:8080/job/flex-sdk_release-candidate/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/out/apache-flex-sdk-4.14.0-bin.zip

I tried switiching the networks , that didn't help either.

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Fwd: Fwd: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Mihai Chira <mi...@gmail.com>.
(forwarding to dev)

Posted by Mihai Chira <mi...@gmail.com>.
FYI Yesterday I compiled TrafficLIVE (pretty big application; many
sub-projects) against 4.14.0, and the smoke test passed without
problems. We're probably upgrading to 4.14 as soon as it's out. Keep
up the good work, everyone.

Re: Fwd: [4.14] testing is easy!

RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Saul Diaz <cr...@gmail.com>.
Ty for the info.. is this the one that have flatspark embedded?

regards

Thanks for  the info, I'll test "4.14.0 RC" with my applications!

Olaf

To all who think that helping out on a release is difficult and time consuming... it is not!

All it takes is to fire up the Installer, right click anywhere, select "Show Dev Builds" and chose "Apache Flex SDK 4.14 RC" from the 'version' dropdown and download. Then open your IDE and try to build and run some of your existing projects. Report back to this list, with a simple email (use the [4.14] prefix) telling us what, if anything you found. Even (especially?) if you found nothing. That's it!

Thanks for helping to make this release the best one yet!

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl
[Merry Christmas - Frohe Weihnachten - Feliz Navidad - Joyeux Noel - Vesele Vanoce]

________________________________

Edscha Holding GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Remscheid
Registergericht: Wuppertal, HRB 22889
Geschäftsführung: Francisco J. Riberas Mera, Francisco López Peña, David Vázquez Pascual, Torsten Greiner, Markus Kirchner, Hans-Peter Schulz und Volker Weiss

Vertretungsberechtigt sind nur Geschäftsführer und schriftlich Bevollmächtigte.

Solely Managing Directors or employees with a written proxy have got power of representation.

Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien ist vertraulich und nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein, ist Ihnen jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts untersagt. Bitte informieren Sie in diesem Fall unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien von Ihrem System. Vielen Dank.

The contents of this e-mail including any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete this e-mail including any attachments from your system. Thank you.

AW: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Krüger, Olaf <OK...@edscha.com>.
> How do you enabled flatspark in 4.14?
I've just found it at the dev list.
For those who like to take a preview to the new flatspark here's a short howto:
https://github.com/akamud/FlatSpark/wiki/How-to-use-FlatSpark-in-your-project

The spark swc library  is located here:
...\ 4.14.0_RC\frameworks\libs\flatspark.swc

Thanks to all the people who make 4.14. possible!

Olaf

From: "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl>>

Date: Dec 14, 2014 5:18 AM

To: "dev@flex.apache.org<ma...@flex.apache.org>" <de...@flex.apache.org>>

I. www.ixsoftware.nl<http://www.ixsoftware.nl>

AW: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Krüger, Olaf <OK...@edscha.com>.

RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Saul Diaz <cr...@gmail.com>.
I am loving 4.14 so far.

From: "Erik de Bruin" < <ma...@ixsoftware.nl> erik@ixsoftware.nl>

Date: Dec 14, 2014 5:18 AM

To: " <ma...@flex.apache.org> dev@flex.apache.org" < <ma...@flex.apache.org> dev@flex.apache.org>

I.  <http://www.ixsoftware.nl> www.ixsoftware.nl

RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Saul Diaz <cr...@gmail.com>.

RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Saul Diaz <cr...@gmail.com>.
I am loving 4.14 so far.

AW: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Krüger, Olaf <OK...@edscha.com>.

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Devesh,

The easiest way to help out is to download the 4.14 RC nightly build
using the Apache Flex Installer
(http://flex.apache.org/installer.html). In order to make the 4.14 RC
option visible, you right click anywhere on the Installer window and
select 'Show Dev Builds'.

Once the 4.14 RC SDK is installed in your IDE of choice (FB, IntelliJ
etc.), you simply start a new project using this SDK, or you switch
(temporarily) one of your existing projects to this SDK; then you
report any findings (hopefully success!) to this list.

Thanks for helping out!

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 17/12/14 10:35, Devesh Mishra(NABFS00) wrote:
> What I am supposed to do in order to test Apache Flex 4.14 ? Kindly let me know.
I install it, and then at least build, deploy to testing and debug our
main applications.

Where there are formal unit tests, run those against the new SDK.

Tom

RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

Fwd: [4.14] testing is easy!

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

never mind, spotted it :(

Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
The 'nightly' RC binaries can be found here:

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Thank you for your report. This is a known issue which is being worked on.

EdB

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 10:36 AM, JanFW <ja...@dallmeier.com> wrote:
> I compiled one of our ongoing projects with 4.14 and found out that the
> *<s:SpinnerList&lt;/b> does not display the global font color set in the
> global css any more. With 4.13 the text color is displayed correctly.
> Project does use mobile.swc and mobilecomponents.swc .

Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

Re: [INSTALLER] Update to options -- was RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
OK, so we do get a good fix with the updated config. Then I'll ask you
to commit that to the 'release4.14' branch.

The rest goes into the 'flex-utilities' repo, of course, so that won't
interfere with the upcoming SDK release.

Good work!

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

RE: [INSTALLER] Update to options -- was RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Neil Madsen <li...@cranialinteractive.com>.
Erik,
I haven't been able to log into Git yet. Still trying to determine what the
problem is.

I could create a patch and attach it to the JIRA ticket though.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Neil,

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

[INSTALLER] Update to options -- was RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Neil Madsen <li...@cranialinteractive.com>.
Ok.
What I'm seeing is this:
 - Remoting Support (Optional)
 - Adobe Embedded Font Libraries and Utilities (Optional)

Change Selected Language
 - Adobe Embedded Font Libraries and Utilities (Optional)
 - Remoting Support (Optional)

It's strange that those 2 lines are swapping order. They are both there from
the start but when the language is changed the first time those 2 selections
swap their order in the list.

Is that consistent with what you're seeing? I did a screen capture before
and after the language change to see what was happening.

Neil

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Neil Madsen <li...@cranialinteractive.com>.
If that is indeed what is meant then we have a fix ready to go for that.

Neil

> Hi Justin, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "License tick boxes
> revert to previous version of check boxes if you selected another
language".
> Are you saying they look different or only some are checked or
> something else? Can you elaborate for me?

Is this maybe https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34687?

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

RE: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Neil Madsen <li...@cranialinteractive.com>.

I can confirm the scrollbars, both horizontal and vertical, in v3.1 when
switching to Greek or Russian. In the updated v3.2 of the installer the
vertical scrollbars appear (which they should) but the horizontal scrollbars
issue is gone in the new version. I had already set the
'horizontalScrollPolicy' on the installComponentsList to 'off' when I was
doing other cleanup back in October.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
This now deserves it's own thread. Please create one before replying to the
BlazeDS issue.

Thanks,

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/15/14, 2:39 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> In 4.14, that one jar (flex-messaging-common.jar) is already baked in.
>>At
>> least, I see it in my install.  There are still no plans to install all
>>of
>> BlazeDS at this time.
>
>So we have a jar made from unreleased software going into a release? What
>files from BlazeDS make up that jar?

We are releasing the required files as part of the SDK source package.  In
the source (and binary) packages, look on modules/flex-messaging-common.
This is the similar to what we’ve done with TLF for several releases now.

>> I would not want to make folks download both Mac and Win SDKs just to
>>get these few
>
>> files.
>
>Don't think that's a good idea either. Perhaps add it to a know issues
>section? Same with the .sh scripts that may or may not work on windows.

I’m ok with you adding that to RELEASE_NOTES.

-Alex

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > In 4.14, that one jar (flex-messaging-common.jar) is already baked in.
> At
> > least, I see it in my install.  There are still no plans to install all
> of
> > BlazeDS at this time.
>
> So we have a jar made from unreleased software going into a release? What
> files from BlazeDS make up that jar?

If it goes into a release, it is no longer 'unreleased software'.  We are
building from the source, remember?

Thanks,
Om

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
I would recommend we keep all the files / scripts, both Mac and Win, in the
download if possible. I ran into errors and other problems when we moved
the SDK to a server for continuous integration. We went from a Mac machine
to a Windows server and didn't know some or all of the Windows files were
not part of the Mac download.

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Noticed a couple of installer/config file related issues with the 4.14 RC:
- License tick boxes revert to previous version of check boxes if you selected another language
- License box has horizontal and vertical scrollbars for some locales eg French, Greek and Russian. Think may of been fixed in develop.
- Remoting Support has been removed from license check list. I assume this was intentional as BlazeDS will now be baked in? (but isn't yet)
- FP 16 beta is shown when FP 16 has been released. [1]
- Once the SDK has been installed (on OSX) and looking in the bin directory adl.bat and adt.bat are missing. All other files have .bat files as well. While not a normally an issue it does mean that the SDK once installed isn't portable across OSs.
- If the FP version isn't installed it shows a popup with this link (http://www.adobe.com/go/flashplayer_debugger) which results in a 404. Probably not much we can do re that.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ shows version 16.0.0.235 available.

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
> Should we install the latest versions of AIR and Flash Player also? Even the beta versions?

During the install you're asked with which version of Flash and AIR
you want to use the SDK. So you are free to select the version you
already have on your system, or you can go "all in" and use the latest
and greatest for your tests.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Dany Dhondt <ar...@mac.com>.
Eric,

Should we install the latest versions of AIR and Flash Player also? Even the beta versions?

-dany

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
I didn't make the connection that I could easily test an SDK before. I
think what would help is making an announcement like this on the list and
maybe some social networks before each release (or more frequently), adding
a "Show Development builds" checkbox in the installer so we know this is
possible and maybe making a note or second screen in the installer
specifically on how to test a new SDK (same idea as this announcement).

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
That’s correct, turn off download cache for now.

Thanks for finding that.  I’ve updated the installer.xml so it shouldn’t
require turning off the download cache.  Please test again with cache on
after the next RC build.

FWIW, I think we have to use format=raw otherwise you get HTML, not the
raw data we need.

-Alex

Re: [4.14] testing is easy!

Posted by Mihai Chira <mi...@gmail.com>.