Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/27 10:07:22 UTC

Reminder on svn client settings

It appears that there are some developers who don't have their svn
clients set up correctly.  Can everyone please check that their svn
clients are set up according to the documentation at (the bottom of)
http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/GettingSourceCode .

Recently some files with incorrect svn properties have caused some
problems with patches being generated that cannot be applied on systems
with different line endings to the system that the patch was generated on.

Thanks,

John

Re: Reminder on svn client settings

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Is there no server-side configuration for this?

--jason

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
Bruce Snyder wrote:
> On 5/28/06, Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/27/06, John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > It appears that there are some developers who don't have their svn
>> > clients set up correctly.  Can everyone please check that their svn
>> > clients are set up according to the documentation at (the bottom of)
>> > http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/GettingSourceCode .
>> >
>> > Recently some files with incorrect svn properties have caused some
>> > problems with patches being generated that cannot be applied on
>> systems
>> > with different line endings to the system that the patch was
>> generated on.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > John

>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/gbuild/trunk/svnpropset.sh
>> ) in particular to ensure all text files have native line endings to
>> prevent problems with patches generated against those files not being
>> able to be applied on systems with different native line endings.
>> Everyone should ensure their svn clients are set up according to the
>> documentation in http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/GettingSourceCode so
>> all new files are added with the correct settings.
>>
>> FWIW, I've used the following script on other repos and it has proven
>> to be somewhat faster, probably because the lack of finds:
>>
>> http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2005-12/1009.shtml
>
> I forgot to mention that this script relies upon .svn dirs for
> scanning so it will not work with SVK.
>
> Bruce
Thanks Bruce, I'll have a look at it.  My current script is definitely
not fast :-)

John

Re: Reminder on svn client settings

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 5/28/06, Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/27/06, John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It appears that there are some developers who don't have their svn
> > clients set up correctly.  Can everyone please check that their svn
> > clients are set up according to the documentation at (the bottom of)
> > http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/GettingSourceCode .
> >
> > Recently some files with incorrect svn properties have caused some
> > problems with patches being generated that cannot be applied on systems
> > with different line endings to the system that the patch was generated on.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
> >
> > jsisson@apache.org wrote:
> > > Author: jsisson
> > > Date: Sat May 27 00:56:38 2006
> > > New Revision: 409817

> > > Log:
> > > Fix svn properties by running svnpropset.sh script at ( https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/gbuild/trunk/svnpropset.sh ) in particular to ensure all text files have native line endings to prevent problems with patches generated against those files not being able to be applied on systems with different native line endings.  Everyone should ensure their svn clients are set up according to the documentation in http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/GettingSourceCode so all new files are added with the correct settings.
>
> FWIW, I've used the following script on other repos and it has proven
> to be somewhat faster, probably because the lack of finds:
>
> http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2005-12/1009.shtml

I forgot to mention that this script relies upon .svn dirs for
scanning so it will not work with SVK.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/
Apache ServiceMix - http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/
Castor - http://castor.org/

Re: Reminder on svn client settings

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 5/27/06, John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It appears that there are some developers who don't have their svn
> clients set up correctly.  Can everyone please check that their svn
> clients are set up according to the documentation at (the bottom of)
> http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/GettingSourceCode .
>
> Recently some files with incorrect svn properties have caused some
> problems with patches being generated that cannot be applied on systems
> with different line endings to the system that the patch was generated on.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> jsisson@apache.org wrote:
> > Author: jsisson
> > Date: Sat May 27 00:56:38 2006
> > New Revision: 409817

> > Log:
> > Fix svn properties by running svnpropset.sh script at ( https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/gbuild/trunk/svnpropset.sh ) in particular to ensure all text files have native line endings to prevent problems with patches generated against those files not being able to be applied on systems with different native line endings.  Everyone should ensure their svn clients are set up according to the documentation in http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/GettingSourceCode so all new files are added with the correct settings.

FWIW, I've used the following script on other repos and it has proven
to be somewhat faster, probably because the lack of finds:

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2005-12/1009.shtml

Just my US $0.02 (which isn't worth much these days).

Bruce
);'