Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Susan Hinrichs <sh...@network-geographics.com> on 2015/02/05 16:35:57 UTC

One last query out about using SSL_CTX_set_quiet_shutdown

I'm trying to close out TS-2941.

Because ATS has SSL_CTX_set_quiet_shutdown enabled, it does not send
close_notify before shutting down the SSL connection.  This does not
follow the TLS standard and causes the clients to set RSTs.

Can anyone remember why we are explicitly enabling
SSL_CTX_set_quiet_shutdown?  If we don't remember why, I'm going to pull
it out so we operate in accordance with the standard.

Re: One last query out about using SSL_CTX_set_quiet_shutdown

Posted by Susan Hinrichs <sh...@network-geographics.com>.
Actually I got some insight from reading the SSL_shutdown man page
https://www.openssl.org/docs/ssl/SSL_shutdown.html.

If you enable quiet_shutdown, the SSL_shutdown will always return with
success.  Otherwise, you may need to call SSL_shutdown multiple times
(much as you do with SSL_accept),  to get the close_notify handshake
through.

Based on that, I'm assuming the original motivation for using
quiet_shutdown was programming expediency.   I'm move on assuming that.

If anyone else has additional insights, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
Susan