Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Tom Bentley <tb...@redhat.com> on 2019/11/25 11:17:46 UTC

What happened to KIP-158?

Hi,

KIP-158 proposed a way to allow source connectors a way to configure their
topics prior to creation. This was discussed, but the vote didn't get
enough commiter votes at the time (though I think a couple of the +1s came
from people who are now committers).

Meanwhile in KIP-382 (MirrorMaker 2.0) Ryanne made a throwaway comment
about possibly proposing a KIP which would provide a generic way for Kafka
Connect to expose AdminClient functionality to connectors, but I don't
think that KIP was ever created.

Is there a current plan about how to bring this functionality to
connectors? If not what's the best way forward, proceed with KIP-158, or
try for something more generic such as could be used by MM2?

Kind regards,

Tom

Re: What happened to KIP-158?

Posted by Konstantine Karantasis <ko...@confluent.io>.
Hi Tom.

Good timing for your question.
I'll be revisiting KIP-158 and I'll bring an updated proposal for
discussion this quarter.
As always, it'll be ideal to strike a good balance between flexibility and
conciseness on what we expose to Connect's developers and operators.

Stay tuned.
Konstantine

Re: What happened to KIP-158?

Posted by Ryanne Dolan <ry...@gmail.com>.