Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Bob Kerfoot <bk...@dearborn.com> on 2007/06/07 23:48:39 UTC

Versioned binary files stored as deltas rather than as exact copies of files?

I am currently storing versionable .tgz files in my repository and the versions
are being created as expected as .bin files under
"/repositoryroot/version/blobs".

However the .bin file used to store each version of the binary is an exact
duplicate of the actual binary file being versioned rather than a delta
of the previous version and the current version.

Is there any way to have the the .bin files stored as deltas rather than as
exact copies of the binary being versioned?

Re: Versioned binary files stored as deltas rather than as exact copies of files?

Posted by Bob Kerfoot <bk...@dearborn.com>.
Hi,

Tobias Bocanegra <tobias.bocanegra <at> day.com> writes:

> hi,
> currently there are not plans of implementing a smarter storing of
> versioned content.

Do you know whether there is currently delta based versioning for
files of any kind in jackrabbit? Specifically, can text files and/or
any other non-binary file types be versioned as deltas in jackrabbit?
If not, might there be any plans to introduce this delta based
versioning for text or other non-binary file types in the future?

> but we're thinking of an alternative way of storing blobs so
> that every unique blob only gets stored once. so if the binary data
> does not change from version to version, it would only get stored
> once.

Am I correct in understanding that this alternative way way of
storing blobs does not use deltas but rather just maintains a single
copy of each unique blob and then uses pointer(s) to reference that
single unique copy if a duplicate binary version of the file is
entered into the repository?

> regards, toby

Thanks again for your time.
Bob Kerfoot

Re: Versioned binary files stored as deltas rather than as exact copies of files?

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
hi,

On 6/7/07, Bob Kerfoot <bk...@dearborn.com> wrote:
> I am currently storing versionable .tgz files in my repository and the versions
> are being created as expected as .bin files under
> "/repositoryroot/version/blobs".
>

> However the .bin file used to store each version of the binary is an exact
> duplicate of the actual binary file being versioned rather than a delta
> of the previous version and the current version.
>
> Is there any way to have the the .bin files stored as deltas rather than as
> exact copies of the binary being versioned?

T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97