Posted to user@hivemind.apache.org by Jean-Francois Poilpret <jf...@hcm.vnn.vn> on 2004/12/31 14:48:19 UTC

Registry configuration integrity check

Hello,

My current experience with HiveMind (about 4 months now) has shown me that
during development time, most errors during debugging are due to
configuration problems.
We know that by default, at Registry building time, HiveMind will just log
an error when there is a mistake in configuration. This is a changeable
option: we may use the StrictErrorHandler to get exceptions right at
Registry build time.

However, this still requires us poor developers (;-)) to deploy the full
application and run it to hit problems.

I wondered if it would be possible to develop an ant task that would do the
full check of the configuration and report _all_ encountered errors and
finally fail in case there is at least one.
In this case this would be much easier to produce deployable applications
that will run smoothly at the first time.

I also remarked that not all configuration is checked at Registry build
time, HiveMind may report errors due to configuration mistakes at the time a
service implementation is constructed, here again this does not ease early
debugging of configuration problems during integration. It would be good if
the ant task described above could as well force early-load of all services
to check really the _complete_ configuration of the application.

I wondered if someone had already developed something similar, or otherwise
how do you handle this kind of problem: is everybody using the "painful" way
(deploy, test, fix, rebuild, redeploy and so on...) like I do? Or are there
some better ways to ensure that your configuration is correct?

Does the idea of an ant task as I described (or even an independent
application) make sense?

NB: I am conscious that with more integration tests, such errors can be more
easily found and fixed, but impatient people (like me) sometimes prefer to
immediately give a run to the whole application ;-)

Cheers,

	Jean-Francois

Re: Registry configuration integrity check

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Somewhat difficult to accomplish.

One of the great and powerful things about HiveMind is that code (in
the form of services, or just plain objects) gets merged with data via
contributions.

Further, a good part of HiveMind is defined in HiveMind, such as
service implementation and interceptor factories, ObjectProviders,
translators, etc.

This makes validating that a configuration is correct problematic.
It's like verifying that a program is correct.

Mostly, you're concerned with validating that the contributions follow
the schema.

We could certainly kludge together something equivalen to EarlyLoad,
but for configurations.  Simplying invoking List.size() on a
contribution should be enough to validate that the xml is valid.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

RE: Registry configuration integrity check

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Some services?  But, how would that be applicable to all situations?  How
would you know which services to "call"?  Also, for most service models,
obtaining the service reference would not be sufficient.  You would have to
call a method on the service in order for the core service implementation
object to be created.

How about a simple JUnit test that calls
RegistryBuilder to construct a registry, and possibly
call some services?  Would that be sufficient for your
case?

Albert

 --- Jean-Francois Poilpret <jf...@hcm.vnn.vn>
���ݣ�