Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by wa...@aol.com on 2013/02/28 22:42:37 UTC

Questions

Before I upload your Open oFFICE.

A. Do I get lots of marketing/advertising popups or other stuff ?

B. Will it cause trouble to my current microsoft loaded system or is it compatible?

C. Do I have to delete or do something to get rid of Microsoft in my system?

Thanx.

Wayne

Re: Questions

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
A. As a long time user of OpenOffice I have never seen advertisements.
B. I use Microsoft Windows and it runs very stable.
C. Not that I'm aware of

Re: Questions

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM,  <wa...@aol.com> wrote:

> Before I upload your Open oFFICE.
>
> A. Do I get lots of marketing/advertising popups or other stuff ?

If you download from http://www.openoffice.org/download then you will
be OK.  But be careful about downloading from other websites, since
some of them do bundle adware with the installs.  I wrote a blog post
on this issue a while back:

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/how_to_safely_download_apache

> B. Will it cause trouble to my current microsoft loaded system or is it compatible?

Apache OpenOffice can coexist on the same machine as Microsoft Office.
 But if you run in this configuration you should know that only one
application can be the default handler for the doc, xls and ppt file
extensions.  So you'll need to decide which app, MS Office or
OpenOffice you want to open these files when you double-click on a
document on the desktop.   Watch for this question during the
OpenOffice install.

Note:  if you change your mind you can always right click on the file
and choose "Open with..."

> C. Do I have to delete or do something to get rid of Microsoft in my system?

The OpenOffice install does not touch your MS Office files.  If you
want to uninstall MS Office then you will need to do that through
normal means, via the Control Panel.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: merging bibliographies

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 16:30:41 -0600
Carmen Clark <ce...@wisc.edu> wrote:

> Hello and thank you for your reply!
>
> I am not creating a list.  It is a text document.  I do not want to see
> pages side-by-side.  I want only to see one page at a time as I create a
> 3-4 page document.
>
> I do not understand how to change the settings in order for only one
> page to display as I type.  That used to be the common display.  Now
> both MS Word and now Open office think I want to see my document as a
> book or as pairs of pages across from each other on my screen.
>
> I am attaching a sample.  It may be in the PC settings, but I can't open
> a document in Open Office that just shows one page as I create a 3-4
> page document.

The required settings are by three little icons on bottom right hand corner of OpenOffice window, on  the Status bar.  If they are not there, you need to enable the Status Bar with /View /Status bar.  I think the icons will need no explanation.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: merging bibliographies

Posted by Carmen Clark <ce...@wisc.edu>.

Hello and thank you for your reply!

I am not creating a list.  It is a text document.  I do not want to see
pages side-by-side.  I want only to see one page at a time as I create a
3-4 page document.

I do not understand how to change the settings in order for only one
page to display as I type.  That used to be the common display.  Now
both MS Word and now Open office think I want to see my document as a
book or as pairs of pages across from each other on my screen.

I am attaching a sample.  It may be in the PC settings, but I can't open
a document in Open Office that just shows one page as I create a 3-4
page document.

Thanks!

Carmen

RE: merging bibliographies

Re: merging bibliographies

Posted by riklar <ri...@gmail.com>.

RE: merging bibliographies

merging bibliographies

Re: Questions -- OO always

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.
2013/2/28 Alena Hairston <al...@gmail.com>:
> On 2/28/2013 1:42 PM, wabbott330@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Before I upload your Open oFFICE.
>>
>> A. Do I get lots of marketing/advertising popups or other stuff ?
>>
>> B. Will it cause trouble to my current microsoft loaded system or is it
>> compatible?
>>
>> C. Do I have to delete or do something to get rid of Microsoft in my
>> system?
>>
>> Thanx.
>>
>> Wayne
>>
> Hi Wayne:  Just chiming in here:  Been using OO for years.  No ads, no
> frill, no junk.  MS, if anything, is the culprit if and when you encounter
> problems. These are rare and when you doencounter them you can simply delete
> your user prefs file in your OO programs file (search for this on the user
> panels).  MS stays on the system. But MS is getting more and more tyrannical
> with third party.  I believe there several class action lawsuits pending or
> beginning due to Gate's desire to rule the digital world.  Even now I can
> hardly install ANYapplication, even those vetted by MS, in Win 7.  I won't
> dare deal with Win 8.

Well, both are Microsoft products. There are alternatives, you know… :)

Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Questions -- OO always

Posted by Alena Hairston <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Questions

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM,  <wa...@aol.com> wrote:
> Before I upload your Open oFFICE.

You are uploading Open Office where?

FC

Re: Questions

Posted by Steve Ahlers <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Wayne,

> Before I upload your Open oFFICE.
>
> A. Do I get lots of marketing/advertising popups or other stuff ?
No

> B. Will it cause trouble to my current microsoft loaded system or is it compatible?

No problems if properly installed, depends on what version of Windoz you have

> C. Do I have to delete or do something to get rid of Microsoft in my system?

Not unless you want to

Since you are not subscribed to the users group I have cc'd you directly. If you have further questions please address them to the list and not to me directly. You might consider subscribing to the users group for future assistance.

Steve