Posted to user@ctakes.apache.org by "Hari, Sekhar" <se...@cgi.com> on 2019/05/07 16:47:37 UTC

Reading clinical notes for specific predictions

Hi there -

I'm trying to predict a few things from clinical notes as follows:

1.       Look at the notes and discharge summaries, and predict the re-admissions data, cardiac arrests, diabetes, and pre-term birth.

2.       Understand the vocabulary of doctors and pharmacies. For example, recognize that Tylenol and Acetaminophen refer to the same item. Have a good understanding of body parts and diseases. The vocabulary is domain-specific.

3.       The data is loaded from Cerner and EPIC.

Can somebody help with suggestions on the list of pipelines that can be used to achieve (1) and (2) above? Should I also develop a machine-learning model along with cTAKES to get the desired results?

Thanks
Sekhar Hari | AI Program Lead | Health Sciences R&D | Asia Pacific Solutions Delivery Center
+91 814 7027 779 (C)

Re: Reading clinical notes for specific predictions

Posted by Peter Abramowitsch <pa...@gmail.com>.
Ctakes can detect many forms for each "identified annotation", and it can
be trained with further dictionary development, to handle more acronyms,
more idiosyncratic speech etc, but it is not perfect.  For example, It is
not that good at the moment, for detection of temporal context to
distinguish medical history from current observation or from family
history.  It is better,  but still not perfect at detecting negated
concepts which can occur in many different forms depending on the
linguistic patterns of the specific physicians whose notes you are
reading.  What makes clinical notes particularly tricky as an NLP task is
that physicians are rushed - they abbreviate, they misspell, they create
staccato phrases instead of sentences, etc.  It is not like parsing
well-formed published text.

I have not tried all the available annotators, so you may want to
experiment and see what works best for you.

I hope you were joking about "a couple of algorithms".    Prediction is one
of the problems that has been addressed by thousands of highly trained
experts in diagnostics and clinical informatics.  I have found interesting
work that was done years ago by some people working on Inference engines
using Deontic logic.   Prediction is only partially an information handling
problem -- it is also a capture problem.   It is something that only highly
trained observers can get right part of the time, and by observations that
do not always become part of the clinical record.   If you want to know
more about what I'm talking about, try reading "Cutting for Stone" .   It
is written by one of the world's most distinguished diagnosticians, Abraham
Verghese who now teaches at Stanford University.

Peter

Posted by Peter Abramowitsch <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sekhar