Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Guilherme Silveira <gu...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/22 17:58:47 UTC

SCXML project

Hi Folks

I am new to FSM and new to SCXML.    On the other hand, I am expert in
Simulink, expert in Java and expert in model based systems engineering.

I am currently evaluating SCXML and I would like a*honest, non biased
opinion *on the status of SCXML project.

What I would like to assert if this project has a future, the number of
developers, if the SCXML specification will ever reach a stable
status....and so on

So far, I have noticed few integrations with proprietary softwares....
Simulink Stateflow does not export to SCXML, neither does IBM Rhapsody.

How difficult would it be to create custom tool for these integrations? And
most important, is it REALLY possible to implement in Java all the
functionalities of Simulink Stateflow, without any drawback, with a
friendly user experience and a steep learning curve?

ps: I am not from telecom industry

[SCXML] Re: SCXML project

Posted by Jacob Beard <jb...@cs.mcgill.ca>.
Hi Guilherme,

I have used SCXML for use cases outside of telecom, including to control hardware in industrial systems. Semantically, SCXML has most of the features of Statecharts, the language upon which Stateflow is based, and it works well for this use case.

Unlike Stateflow, SCXML does not have a dedicated graphical IDE. The development I have done has primarily involved editing SCXML by hand, and applying automated visualization using D3. I have heard of other SCXML developers doing the same. I believe MagicDraw <http://www.nomagic.com/products/magicdraw-addons/cameo-simulation-toolkit.html> supports SCXML, but I have not tried it.

There are also semantic difference between SCXML and Stateflow. For example, transition priority: Stateflow uses a graphical syntax, based on a clockwise <http://www.mathworks.com/help/stateflow/ug/evaluation-order-for-outgoing-transitions.html> ordering, while SCXML relies on document order of the transition nodes in the XML document.

It would be interesting to combine an SCXML engine with open source software for modeling system dynamics, such as Modelica <https://www.modelica.org/>  Xcos <https://www.scilab.org/scilab/features/xcos>, or Minsky <http://sourceforge.net/projects/minsky/>, to create an open stack of simulation software.

Please feel free to reach me with any questions. Thank you,

Jacob Beard

RE: SCXML project

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

 * @see org.apache.commons.scxml2.env.groovy.GroovyContext#readObject(ObjectInputStream) * @param classResolver custom class resolver */ public ClassResolver setClassResolver(ClassResolver classResolver) {

Re: SCXML project

RE: SCXML project

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Re: SCXML project

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

RE: SCXML project

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

mvn package doesnt package (testcase fails) currently  <testcase name="testSCXMLExecutorTransitions02Sample" classname="org.apache.commons.scxml2.SCXMLExecutorTest" time="0.03">    <error type="java.lang.NullPointerException:">java.lang.NullPointerException: null	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SLF4JLog.isDebugEnabled(SLF4JLog.java:49)	at org.apache.commons.scxml2.env.SimpleContext.setLocal(SimpleContext.java:178)	at org.apache.commons.scxml2.SCXMLExecutionContext.initializeIOProcessors(SCXMLExecutionContext.java:358)	at org.apache.commons.scxml2.SCXMLExecutionContext.attachInstance(SCXMLExecutionContext.java:397)	at org.apache.commons.scxml2.SCXMLExecutor.attachInstance(SCXMLExecutor.java:398)	at org.apache.commons.scxml2.SCXMLTestHelper.testInstanceSerializability(SCXMLTestHelper.java:258)	at org.apache.commons.scxml2.SCXMLExecutorTest.testSCXMLExecutorTransitions02Sample(SCXMLExecutorTest.java:139)

Re: SCXML project

Posted by Guilherme Silveira <gu...@gmail.com>.
Ok Folks,

RE: SCXML project