Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Claudio Ranieri <cl...@buscape-inc.com> on 2008/01/23 16:24:20 UTC

Problem to use 2 projects (trunk and branch) in the same continuum

Hi,

I added 2  M2_projects in continuum. The trunk version and branch version of the one project.
But the continuum only detect changes in the branch version. The continuum doesn´t detect changes in trunk version.
I saw the continuum log and I got:

12646035 [defaultScheduler_Worker-11] WARN  org.apache.maven.continuum.Continuum:default  - Project 'ReplicacaoNova:publicacao:bin' is duplicated in the reactor

groupId:  ReplicacaoNova
artifactoryId: publicacao
version: bin

How can I resolve this problem?
Thanks

Re: Problem to use 2 projects (trunk and branch) in the same continuum

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <cg...@israfil.net>.
Typically, one would have branches have a different version.  For
example, trunk would be on 2.0-SNAPSHOT, but the 1.x branch would be
on 1.2-SNAPSHOT.  A lot of this depends on one's branching strategy.
If you use branches for teams or experimental features, then I would
build a branch portion into your versions.  A short code at the
beginning of the branch version.

1.0-SNAPSHOT (trunk)
1.0-TEAM1-SNAPSHOT
1.0-TEAM2-SNAPSHOT

or

1.0-SNAPSHOT (trunk)
TEAM1-1.0-SNAPSHOT
TEAM2-1.0-SNAPSHOT

The above is a problematic strategy for branching, but it is used, and
this way you have everything nicely separated.  At some points, where
we had non-version-oriented branching (experimental branches) we had a
property set in the active parent (the one that all things got their
versions from) that defined the version for itself and all children.

<project>
    <version>${providedversion}</version>
    <properties>
       <providedversion>1.0-SNAPSHOT</providedversion>
    </properties>
</project>

and then we changed it into <providedversion>EXP-BLAH-1.0-SNAPSHOT</
providedversion> for the experimental work that didn't follow our
"branch for maintenance" strategy.

Christian.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.