Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2007/04/30 17:07:13 UTC

Auto Reporting of Spam to Freemail Vendors

As you know SA reports spam to various service like Pyzor, Razor,
Spamcop, etc. Why not have a module that sends messages to
abuse@yahoo.com, abuse@gmail.com, abuse@hotmail.com etc. If we had such
a module then these free email services could automatically shut down
spammers after seeing a fairly high rate of complaints coming in. It
could be totally automated and spammers could be trashed just as they
get started.

Who likes this idea?

Re: Auto Reporting of Spam to Freemail Vendors

Posted by "Chris St. Pierre" <st...@NebrWesleyan.edu>.
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Marc Perkel wrote:

> As you know SA reports spam to various service like Pyzor, Razor, Spamcop,
> etc. Why not have a module that sends messages to abuse@yahoo.com,
> abuse@gmail.com, abuse@hotmail.com etc. If we had such a module then these
> free email services could automatically shut down spammers after seeing a
> fairly high rate of complaints coming in. It could be totally automated and
> spammers could be trashed just as they get started.
>
> Who likes this idea?

I hate it, for one.  As great as SpamAssassin is, I don't trust it to
be perfect -- and that would require it to be perfect.  There are a
few things I will never automate, and submitting mail to abuse@ is one
of them.

As I mentioned last week on this list, too, automating reception of
abuse@ messages is worse than stupid.  Spammers are very good at
sending a lot of mail, and they could easily spam abuse@ and create
DoS conditions at will.

If you automatically spam abuse@yahoo.com, all that will obtain is
that the rest of us will get worse service from Yahoo!'s abuse desk
because they'll be bogged down by your requests.  If they're smart,
they might blacklist you from reporting abuse.  If every SA user on
the planet started spamming abuse@yahoo.com, they'd probably just set
up an auto-blacklister for SA-submitted mail, and they'd be justified
in doing so, IMHO.

Incidentally, I was under the impression that Pyzor and Razor didn't
allow automated submissions -- that's what gave them such low rates of
FPs.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University
----------------------------
Never send mail to thobrux@nebrwesleyan.edu

R: Auto Reporting of Spam to Freemail Vendors

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <g....@libero.it>.

No need to: you can ask for a SpamCop "quick" account to SpamCop's admins.
Every e-mail reported to the "quick" e-mail account is processed and
LART-reported automatically.

Giampaolo

Posted by Andrzej Adam Filip <an...@xl.wp.pl>.
Michele Neylon :: Blacknight wrote:
> The problem with automated reporting is that we get loads of spurious
> abuse reports from idiots who report mails with a link to
> mailscanner.info in the footer (ie. the default install)
>
> So, unless you build some kind of sanity into it you just annoy people
> like us

I suggested reporting "indirectly" via spamcop.net.
Spamcop.net can:
a) terminate accounts of "miss-reporting" users
b) delay sending reports of "fresh" users until "trusted" user reports
spam from the same source
c) ignore some links e.g. BBC/CNN pages with some catastrophe used in
419 scams
d) gently handle reporting of reliable mailing list messages as spam
[ such "reporting mistakes" are pretty common for *big* mailing lists ]

IMHO such "LART relay service" *like* spamcop.net can significantly
increase reliability of spam reports.

Posted by "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <mi...@blacknight.ie>.
The problem with automated reporting is that we get loads of spurious
abuse reports from idiots who report mails with a link to
mailscanner.info in the footer (ie. the default install)

So, unless you build some kind of sanity into it you just annoy people
like us

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions

Re: Auto Reporting of Spam to Freemail Vendors

Posted by Andrzej Adam Filip <an...@xl.wp.pl>.
Marc Perkel wrote:
> As you know SA reports spam to various service like Pyzor, Razor,
> Spamcop, etc. Why not have a module that sends messages to
> abuse@yahoo.com, abuse@gmail.com, abuse@hotmail.com etc. If we had such
> a module then these free email services could automatically shut down
> spammers after seeing a fairly high rate of complaints coming in. It
> could be totally automated and spammers could be trashed just as they
> get started.
>
> Who likes this idea?

Have you tried to configure spamassassin for "non anonymous" spam
reporting to spamcop.net?
It will allow you to send LARTs via spamcop.net web pages.

Posted by JamesDR <ja...@trusswood.net>.
Marc Perkel wrote:
> As you know SA reports spam to various service like Pyzor, Razor,
> Spamcop, etc. Why not have a module that sends messages to
> abuse@yahoo.com, abuse@gmail.com, abuse@hotmail.com etc. If we had such
> a module then these free email services could automatically shut down
> spammers after seeing a fairly high rate of complaints coming in. It
> could be totally automated and spammers could be trashed just as they
> get started.
>
> Who likes this idea?

Big guys = probably an automated system of getting abuse reports.

While on the face of it, may seem like a good idea. I'm willing to bet
if they get X number of spam reports to abuse that they'd just /dev/null
any messages. Most spam I see from Yahoo (single addresses not lists)
seem to be a one time use address. Spammer X signs up for a yahoo
address, sends his/her spam run, discards (never uses again) that address.

On the surface it sounds like a good idea, but I see this quickly
turning into what was discussed on the thread you started "IP ->
Responsible Person" as far as not really a good idea. However, you could
try it out for a limited time and see how it works and let us know :-D

James