Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org> on 2018/08/01 16:26:44 UTC

Gradle OutOfMemoryErrors while building Geode

I've helped a couple people who hit OutOfMemoryError while building Geode
with Gradle 4.8. If you see OutOfMemoryError while compiling then you've
hit the same issue. Geode source contains a gradle.properties file with
settings including:

org.gradle.daemon = true
org.gradle.jvmargs = -Xmx2048m
org.gradle.caching = true
org.gradle.parallel = false

You can create a ~/.gradle/gradle.properties file and any key/value pairs
in your file will override what the Geode build is using.

People who have seen OutOfMemoryError while building seem to have luck by
increasing the -Xmx value to 4 GB:

org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx4g

Here's what I'm currently running using in my gradle.properties:

org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx4g -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8