Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Sandy Pittendrigh <sa...@cns.montana.edu> on 2002/07/26 22:15:47 UTC

When to use XUpdate

I'm working on some client/server code that uses xindice to store and
configure client GUI screens (on a per user basis).

In other words my client says to the server, "send me the initialization
xml for the GUI screen called BBT that belongs to user sandy."

xindice ships  xml (originally added to the server  with -n BBT_sandy)
back to the client, which uses that xml to dynamically create a GUI
screen, which the end-user will possibly (probably) modify. So, at some
point, the client wants to send BBT_sandy back to xindice, for use by
sandy at a later date.

Although I haven't tried, it seems obvious I could use
XUpdate to change the contents of the server-side xml
that defines sandy's BBT gui screen.

I can also just add that document again, effectively overwriting
the original with the new. If the xml files I'm dealing with
are small, what are the tradeoffs?

--
/* Sandy Pittendrigh                      >--o0O>
   * sandy@cns.montana.edu

Problem running Xindice on debian with j2se 1.4.1

Posted by Miguel Angel Urrutia Soler <ur...@yahoo.com.mx>.
Hi I'm trying to run the xindice 1.0 on a debian with a j2se 1.4.1 installed
but the startup raise the next exception:
Exception in thread "main" javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org/apache/xindice/xml/jaxp/DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl
 at
javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance(DocumentBuilderFactory.
java:149)
 at org.apache.xindice.server.Kernel.<init>(Kernel.java:127)
 at org.apache.xindice.server.Kernel.<init>(Kernel.java:117)
 at org.apache.xindice.server.Xindice.main(Xindice.java:99)

these are my enviroment variables sets by the start:
Xindice Loader
==============

Environment
-----------
XINDICE_HOME =  /usr/local/xindice
CLASSPATH =
/usr/local/xindice/java/lib/xmldb.jar:/usr/local/xindice/java/lib/xmldb-xupd
ate.jar:/usr/local/xindice/java/lib/xmldb-sdk.jar:/usr/local/xindice/java/li
b/xml-apis-1.0.jar:/usr/local/xindice/java/lib/xindice.jar:/usr/local/xindic
e/java/lib/xerces-1.4.3.jar:/usr/local/xindice/java/lib/xalan-2.0.1.jar:/usr
/local/xindice/java/lib/openorb_tools-1.2.0.jar:/usr/local/xindice/java/lib/
openorb-1.2.0.jar:/usr/local/xindice/java/lib/infozone-tools.jar:/usr/local/
xindice/java/lib/examples.jar:/usr/local/xindice/java/lib/ant-1.4.1.jar:/usr
/local/xindice/classgen:/usr/local/xindice/config:.:/usr/local/xindice/java/
lib/xindice.jar:/usr/local/xindice/java/lib/xerces-1.4.3.jar:/usr/local/xind
ice/java/lib/xalan-2.0.1.jar

VMPROPS
=  -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/jre/lib/endorsed -Djavax.xml.p
arsers.DocumentBuilderFactory=org.apache.xindice.xml.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFac
toryImpl -Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXPars
erFactoryImpl

Starting Xindice
----------------

Xindice 1.0 (Birthday)

I have the xerces-1.4.3 and xalan-2.0.1 in the next directories:
/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/jre/lib/endorsed
/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/lib/endorsed
/usr/local/xindice/java/lib

JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/jre

somebody can help me plz?

Thanks in advanced

http://faith.yahoo.com

Re: When to use XUpdate

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.
Speed.   If the documents are small and the changes are small,
then the speed difference might not even be noticable.   I don't
know if anyone has any idea of at what point it becomes more
cost effective to update vs save.   I would guess that in general
it is faster to update.   But the real question is will you be able
to tell there is a difference!

If you want to version your screens, then it is simpler to add a new
document with a versioned name.  Though there has been talk on the
list of doing versioning.

HTH,

Mark

--