Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org> on 2007/08/08 21:20:57 UTC

Generated classes compatible with Java 1.3?

Hi folks,

do you think the generated classes of Torque should be compatible with
JRE 1.3 by default? Because they aren't at the moment. Your opinions are
appreciated.

Bye, Thomas.

RE: Generated classes compatible with Java 1.3?

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.
FYI:  Some Java release dates:

Java 1.3 - 2000-05-08
-1
Java 1.4 - 2002-02-13
-0.2
Java 1.5 - 2004-09-29
+1

Personally, I'm thinking a 3 year window is enough, but I
could be talked into a 5 year. I'm definitely -1 on supporting
7 year old tech.

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.

Re: Generated classes compatible with Java 1.3?

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Thomas Fischer wrote:

> "Greg Monroe" <Gr...@DukeCE.com> schrieb am 15.08.2007 15:29:00:
>
>> One other question, there's compile compatibility and there's
>> runtime compatibility.  Are all our dependencies still 1.3
>> compatible?
>
> I thought so, if you add jdbc.jar and jndi.jar. But I'm not sure.

I dimly remember that some commons-libs had dumped 1.3 compatibility but
 I will have to look into it again.

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.
No objections to doing this... but I do object to making
any formal statements that we will keep 1.3 compatiblity.
I certainly don't want to keep remembering which new
methods, etc, can or can't be used as I code.

In other words, submissions don't have be 1.3 compatible
but patches to support 1.3 compatiblity are fine.  We don't
state or test for 1.3 compatiblity in releases, but loosely
try not to prevent it from being possible.

One other question, there's compile compatibility and there's
runtime compatibility.  Are all our dependencies still 1.3
compatible?

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.

Re: Generated classes compatible with Java 1.3?

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Thomas Fischer wrote:
> Anybody any objections about changing this to make us 1.3-compatible again
> ? I'd offer to do it.

I already have the patch sitting here, just wanted to ask before I
commit (which will have to wait till I have decent Internet access again)

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.
I thought the generated classes were JDK 1.3-compatible. There was never an
explicit decision to abandon 1.3 compatibility, as far as I know. What are
the problems with 1.3 ?
The syntax is nearly the same as 1.4, so if we support jdk 1.4, we should
easily be able to support 1.3

(To use JDK 1.3, you have to add jndi.jar and jdbc.jar manually)

    Thomas