Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by krip pane <jk...@yahoo.com> on 2003/05/13 21:52:35 UTC

tomcat performance troubleshooting

All,

I'm running tomcat 4.1.18 as a standalone webserver
(solaris 2.8), which has a application server and a
datbase server at the backend.

user opens a session -> logs into webserver (business
logic resides on the application server) -> user runs
a query against db server

 I would like to measure how long a particular request
takes roundtrip from the web server to app server and
back.

Will changing the debug value to 9 in the connector
class name give me enough information? Will it log in
the access log file or somewhere else?
Are there any tools to do this kind of testing?

Re: tomcat performance troubleshooting

Posted by krip pane <jk...@yahoo.com>.
Guys,

Another question related to this, does tomcat do any
kind of packet management before handing it off to tcp
and below layers. Is there a way to find out packet
size exchange between tomcat and the OS.

Situation is :
Our network folks are seeing exactly 1460b followed by
582b pkts every time between the web server (tomcat)
qnd the client browser. They're interested in finding
out if tomcat is doing the pkt mgt or is it just
handing off what the application gives it.

TIA

Posted by Steven Shand <st...@intrallect.com>.