Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> on 2013/08/04 01:55:52 UTC

Re: Would like to simplify the CSS in the web site

Hi Martin,

Did you already trim the CSS? I am sorry but I am behind on emails and catching up now as I am back to track after a busy summer. I just want to caution that trimming bootstrap CSS is not a good idea. Are you seeing slowness? Its better we use the bootstrap css out of the box and make any changes to the SIS specific one - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sis/site/trunk/content/css/sis.css.

The bootstrap css makes the site HTML5 complaint and more importantly a responsive site. It means it auto-adjusts the layout on all browsers and resolutions, tablets, mobile phones. If we go back to a trimmed version, we loose all responsive features and go back to the old-age static html website.

Suresh

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Suresh

Thanks for your reply. Actually I realized that bootstrap was apparently
an auto-generated CSS. So I went back to the Bootstrap website on Github
and selected only the options that were apparently used. I documented
the selected options on this page:

http://sis.apache.org/site-management.html (see "Updating bootstrap")

So it would be hopefully easy to go back to the Bootstrap site and
select more options if needed. In particular I omitted (for now) the
responsive part of the options because I don't know how to test them.
But if anyone having more knowledge could define the appropriate set of
options, that would be appreciated.

     Martin