Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Martin Papy <ma...@liber-mundi.org> on 2008/08/01 13:06:00 UTC

T5 UTF-8 new behaviour in T5.0.14

Hello everybody,

I updated with the last Snapshot. Has I understand, T5 now handles by
default everything in UTF-8. That is ok for me.

But how the properties files are handled ?

I updated all my properties files in UTF-8 Encoding but I get odd
characters...

I also tryied with a new test project build with the archetype... same
behaviour. Did I miss something ? Or is it an issue ?

Exemple with the archetype :

Index.properties is in UTF-8 and contains :

test-msg=Déconnexion

Html output :

Déconnexion

The page is in UTF-8, the Content-Type is also declaring UTF-8...

I tried various encoding for the properties file : UTF-8 w/wo BOM,
ISO-8859-1...

Any help ?

Thanks !

Re: T5 UTF-8 new behaviour in T5.0.14

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jose for a confirmation. Yes, that's what I thought and the problem
is the same as described in
http://www.thoughtsabout.net/blog/archives/000044.html. As long as this is
documented properly, it's probably ok, but may cause problems if somebody
tries to use existing property files in a jar or otherwise cannot be
changed.

Kalle

Posted by José Paumard <Jo...@orange.fr>.
Kalle,

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Papy <ma...@liber-mundi.org>.
Yes !!!

Thank you :)

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
If you update again, you'll get the snapshot that reads properties
files correctly (kind of an implicit native2ascii).

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Martin Papy <ma...@liber-mundi.org> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I updated with the last Snapshot. Has I understand, T5 now handles by
> default everything in UTF-8. That is ok for me.
>
> But how the properties files are handled ?
>
> I updated all my properties files in UTF-8 Encoding but I get odd
> characters...
>
> I also tryied with a new test project build with the archetype... same
> behaviour. Did I miss something ? Or is it an issue ?
>
> Exemple with the archetype :
>
> Index.properties is in UTF-8 and contains :
>
> test-msg=Déconnexion
>
> Html output :
>
> DÃ(c)connexion
>
> The page is in UTF-8, the Content-Type is also declaring UTF-8...
>
> I tried various encoding for the properties file : UTF-8 w/wo BOM,
> ISO-8859-1...
>
> Any help ?
>
> Thanks !

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5 UTF-8 new behaviour in T5.0.14

Posted by Francois Armand <fa...@linagora.com>.
Martin Papy wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I updated with the last Snapshot. Has I understand, T5 now handles by
> default everything in UTF-8. That is ok for me.
>
> But how the properties files are handled ?
>
> I updated all my properties files in UTF-8 Encoding but I get odd
> characters...

Hum, that seems odd, Java (before 6) is not able to handle properties in
an other language than ISO-8859-1
If you want to use a .property file with UTF-8, you have to process it
with "native2ascii" (in $JABA_HOME/bin/native2ascii)
=> native2ascii -encoding UTF-8 myISO8859-1.properties   myUTF-8.properties

But Tapestry should be aware of that and read the properties file in the
expected format, perhaps a bug lays here.

An alernative solution would be to have Tapestry understand XML property
format (available since java 1.5), so that we can write (XML) properties
file in true UTF-8

Hope it will help...

--
Francois Armand