Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Anton Tagunov <at...@ngs.ru> on 2004/09/10 16:07:51 UTC

[Proposal] I volunteer to help with 0.20.6, part II

amendment:

It really is not such a nonsense as it may seem, Tomcat
3.x.y piecfully co-exist with 4 and 4 coexists with 5.

To reduce mess in the cvs if this proposal is wellcomed we
could create a svn subdir, something like
fop-0-20-2-maintain.

Let me repeat again: I will ask PMC not to vote for the
release if I get bogged down into anything but most
simplisting bug fixing. Just go through Bugzilla and apply
most evident and simple patches. And then ask people: has
anthing become worse since 0.20.5.

(What really killed me in 0.20.5 were troubles with table
rendering when cells do have a background. And awt renderer
produced pour-quality images cause it used int-based
Graphics interface not a double-based one. And I have patch
for that too. But some other patches as simple is that are
floating around, some hyphenation patch.)

cheers,
Anton
http://mobile.ngs.ru/games - Java-игры для мобильников и не только...
http://love.ngs.ru - Знакомства в Новосибирске

Re: [Proposal] I volunteer to help with 0.20.6, part II

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Anton Tagunov wrote:

> amendment:
>
> It really is not such a nonsense as it may seem, Tomcat
> 3.x.y piecfully co-exist with 4 and 4 coexists with 5.

The trouble is everyone always focuses on 0.20.x to the detriment of 1.0
development. Going for the low hanging fruit in 0.20.x may help fix a few
minor issues but you cant escape from the fact that keep-* properties cant be
implemented there.

> To reduce mess in the cvs if this proposal is wellcomed we
> could create a svn subdir, something like
> fop-0-20-2-maintain.

No one said there is a mess in CVS. I dont think there is a need to create a
separate directory. A branch is fine.

> Let me repeat again: I will ask PMC not to vote for the
> release if I get bogged down into anything but most
> simplisting bug fixing. Just go through Bugzilla and apply
> most evident and simple patches. And then ask people: has
> anthing become worse since 0.20.5.

The concern with allowing development of 0.20.x is not that we introduce
regressions or that there are large changes. Simply, that it distracts from
the real goal of FOP: getting the few simple bits finished in 1.0 so that we
can do a release. And we really arent that far away. I reckon a developer with
a good knowledge of the layout code could plug the main gaps in about 3-4
months solid work.

> (What really killed me in 0.20.5 were troubles with table
> rendering when cells do have a background. And awt renderer
> produced pour-quality images cause it used int-based
> Graphics interface not a double-based one. And I have patch
> for that too. But some other patches as simple is that are
> floating around, some hyphenation patch.)

Chris