Posted to dev@pekko.apache.org by Sean Glover <se...@seanglover.com> on 2022/11/03 03:27:18 UTC

Publishing snapshots

Now that we have some infrastructure setup I would like to investigate what
it will take to begin publishing snapshot builds. I think it's important to
prioritize publishing snapshots so that we can begin soliciting community
feedback and update the pekko dependencies of the satellite projects we've
brought along (http, connectors, etc.)

Akka projects publish a timestamped snapshot with every merge to master.
Snapshots were previously published to a Lightbend bintray repository, but
after that was sunset they began publishing to Sonatype's snapshot
repository (https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots).
Sonatype admins might clean out snapshots at any time, but in my experience
they persist for quite awhile and should satisfy our near-term needs.

Please forgive me if some of these things have already been discussed, but
I have a few questions.

* Have we settled on a common group id for all core and satellite projects?
* How will access to publishing to that group id be managed on Sonatype?
* Other than the scalafmt PR are there any other housekeeping tasks that
need to be completed before we can begin publishing?

I've previously setup release-by-tag and snapshot publishing for the
alpakka and akka projection projects and I'm eager to volunteer to setup
pekko once we have answers to some of these logistical questions.

Regards,
Sean

--
@seg1o <https://twitter.com/seg1o>, seanglover.com

Re: Publishing snapshots

Posted by Sean Glover <se...@seanglover.com>.
Snapshots are now being published to a maven repository on the Apache
Nightlies webserver, https://nightlies.apache.org/pekko/snapshots/

A cron GitHub Action will publish a snapshot each day and enforce that only
the last 30 versions are managed.

Re: Publishing snapshots

Posted by Sean Glover <se...@seanglover.com>.

Re: Publishing snapshots

Posted by Sean Glover <se...@seanglover.com>.

Re: Publishing snapshots

Posted by Sean Glover <se...@seanglover.com>.

Re: Publishing snapshots

Re: Publishing snapshots

Posted by Johannes Rudolph <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

the existing infrastructure already uses sbt-dynver, so in general
publishing snapshots with sensible IDs is already set up.

I do not think we should publish snaphots to public maven central. It
clutters the public repo and it also seems to be discouraged according
to the apache release-policy that Justin linked above ("they should
not be hosted or linked on pages intended for end users"). Even
assuming Maven Central has unlimited space, it might still have
consequences in terms of how build tools interact with listings of
versions, size of the full catalog etc. So, let's not stress public
infrastructure just like that.

The only reason wanting to put them there is to make it easier for
downstream consumers to test these snapshots out earlier (without
having to add extra repositories to the build). However, this is
exactly the kind of hurdle we want to distinguish snapshots from
(pre-)releases. If we reach the point where we think there's value in
a wider community trying out early versions we can and should release
a beta or RC version. Everyone else can try out snapshots before with
a little bit of extra effort involved.

Johannes

Re: Publishing snapshots

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

You do need to take a little care in publishing snapshots or other unreleased code. [1] There is also this [2].

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#publication <https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#publication>
2. https://nightlies.apache.org <https://nightlies.apache.org/>