Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by mpbjr30 <mp...@yahoo.com> on 2008/01/14 15:32:49 UTC

Embedded Fonts Relative Path 0.94

Hi Everyone,

I've just upgraded to 0.94 version of FOP.  Is there any example of
embedding fonts in the config file using relative paths?  I've tried
everything and I can't see to get it to work.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated .

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Embedded Fonts Relative Path 0.94

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Both are possible: using a config file and in code, although in code is
better if you don't know beforehand which directory it will be, i.e. you
have to determine it at runtime.

I simply couldn't believe that this shouldn't work and I wrote a little
test (see below) where I set the font base directory in code. It worked
with no problems. I used the same config file as shown earlier except
that I removed the "font-base" element.

import java.io.File;
import java.io.OutputStream;

import javax.xml.transform.Result;
import javax.xml.transform.Source;
import javax.xml.transform.Transformer;
import javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory;
import javax.xml.transform.sax.SAXResult;
import javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamSource;

import org.apache.fop.Version;
import org.apache.fop.apps.FOUserAgent;
import org.apache.fop.apps.Fop;
import org.apache.fop.apps.FopFactory;
import org.apache.fop.apps.FormattingResults;
import org.apache.fop.apps.MimeConstants;

public class RelFonts {

    public void doit() throws Exception {
        FopFactory fopFactory = FopFactory.newInstance();

        fopFactory.setUserConfig("C:/Dev/FOP/temp/help/MichaelBurke/test.xconf");

        File fopRoot = new File("C:/Dev/FOP/main/xml-fop-temp3");
        fopFactory.setFontBaseURL(fopRoot.toURL().toExternalForm() + "test/resources/fonts/");

        FOUserAgent userAgent = fopFactory.newFOUserAgent();

        File fo = new File("C:/Dev/FOP/temp/help/MichaelBurke/relfont.fo");
        File pdf = new File("D:/out.pdf");

        OutputStream out = new java.io.FileOutputStream(pdf);
        out = new java.io.BufferedOutputStream(out);

        Fop fop = fopFactory.newFop(MimeConstants.MIME_PDF, userAgent, out);

        Transformer transformer = factory.newTransformer(); // identity transformer

        Source src = new StreamSource(fo);
        Result res = new SAXResult(fop.getDefaultHandler());
        transformer.transform(src, res);

        // Result processing
        FormattingResults foResults = fop.getResults();
        System.out.println("Generated " + foResults.getPageCount() + " pages in total.");
    }

        try {
            System.out.println("FOP Version: " + Version.getVersion());
            RelFonts app = new RelFonts();
            app.doit();
        } catch (Throwable t) {
            t.printStackTrace();
        }
    }

}

Posted by Michael Burke <mp...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by Michael Burke <mp...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jeremias,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Here's a minimal config file demonstrating relative fonts. You will
simply need to adjust the font-base setting (glb12.ttf is a font that's
found in the FOP source distribution).

test.xconf:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<fop version="1.0">
  <renderers>
    <renderer mime="application/pdf">
      <fonts>
      </fonts>
    </renderer>
  </renderers>
</fop>

A minimal FO file (relfont.fo):

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
  <fo:layout-master-set>
    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="first" page-height="29.7cm" page-width="21cm"
      margin="2cm">
      <fo:region-body/>
    </fo:simple-page-master>
  </fo:layout-master-set>

  <fo:page-sequence master-reference="first">
    <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
      <fo:block font-family="Gladiator" font-size="14pt">The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. (using Gladiator font)</fo:block>
    </fo:flow>
  </fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

Command-line: fop -c test.xconf -fo relfont.fo -pdf out.pdf

Tested with FOP 0.94. Works like a charm. Good luck!

On 14.01.2008 15:32:49 mpbjr30 wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've just upgraded to 0.94 version of FOP.  Is there any example of
> embedding fonts in the config file using relative paths?  I've tried
> everything and I can't see to get it to work.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated .
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Jeremias Maerki