Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com> on 2012/03/05 09:13:28 UTC

discussion: b2b versus b2c

At the moment the system is focused being a b2c (business to consumer)
system. We are now getting more and more requests for systems mainly for
b2b (business to business)

The main difference is that in the b2c case the order/invoice is for the
person and in a b2b the order/invoice is for the related company of that
person.

In the registration process a person can register referring to a
company, a second person can register to the same company however
somewhere needs to be a approval process.....

I was thinking introducing a system parameter to make the related
company of a person mandatory or not....

any thoughts on this?

Regards,
Hans

Re: discussion: b2b versus b2c

Posted by Anne <an...@cohsoft.com.au>.
I think I understand the problem, but suggest a system parameter is not the
best answer. It would mean a company could not do both B2B and B2C.

Perhaps in the ecommerce the customer placing the order can state whether
the order is on behalf of an organisation or for themselves. If it is for
an organisation, then the person gives the organisation's details (if not
previously entered). Then the code that creates the order can relate both
the person customer and the organisation customer to the order in the
appropriate roles. The roles to support this appear to already exist. I do
not know whether other code (invoice creation etc) deals with these roles
appropriately.

Any solution should also consider sub-organisations. For example, Joe
Customer is employed by Awesome Department of Big Organisation. Setting
this up in Parties is easy, but when Joe Customer places an order, should
it be Awesome Department or Big Organisation that takes the delivery and is
billed? Maybe Joe Customer has to specify this at the time of order
creation, so the right organisation is related to the order in the right
roles.

Cheers,
Anne.

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Bonsai ERP, the all-inclusive ERP system
http://www.bonsaierp.com.au/

Re: discussion: b2b versus b2c

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:20 AM, Hans Bakker wrote:

> Adrian it is much more than that, when he enters an order in ecommerce the order should be for his company and not for him personally, he should be able to see the data/oders of his company (also entered by others) and there are many other cases......

Hans I agree that it is much much more than this: in fact, if you are planning to contribute part of your work to OFBiz, you should come to us with a complete list of requirements so that we can better suggest a solution that is also a good fit for the project.

Jacopo

Re: discussion: b2b versus b2c

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
If you want to discuss designs, then list the parties and their roles
and we can all agree on how those parties are related to orders and
other documents.

Or you can ignore everyone's advice and do as you please.

Also, this discussion should be on the dev list if anything is going to
be committed to the project.

-Adrian

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
Le 05/03/2012 10:21, Hans Bakker a écrit :
> Adrian, since we already have the person/company relationship in the
> party general list I would rather use that relationship. Internal
> organization could be confused with the company internal organization
> of the company running the system and with accounting.
>
> For nicolas, sure, any addition will have this disadvantage. should be
> not not add any functionality any more? this is the second time we get
> this request, should we implement it over and over?

I just want to warn about the fact that the addition of the parameters
indicates that business services have to support. The functional layers
are already operational. On our side instead of adding parameters we add
new components, inheriting their display and service from standard
components but with their dedicated process.

--
Nicolas MALIN
Consultant

Re: discussion: b2b versus b2c

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
Hi Hans,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
if the partyrelationship is used as in Vol1 of the data manual, there
should be no problem, which is why I reverted to the way the databook
did it.

Hans Bakker sent the following on 3/5/2012 12:13 AM: