Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by vi...@outblaze.com on 2002/07/02 09:43:42 UTC

apache 1.3.26 on FreeBSD 4.4

Speaking of freebsd, me too here is having a problem after upgrading
apache to 1.3.26 from 1.3.24 on a FreeBSD 4.4 box.  From time to time,
ranging from 20 minutes to 6 hours, apache will stop responding to
requests and start flooding the error log with this :

httpd in free(): warning: recursive call.

and after a while, the error will stop and this will appear in the error
log.

httpd in malloc(): warning: recursive call.
Out of memory!

and as soon as this happen, command ps will report only one apache
running, and if I do a strace on the httpd process, the following return
repeating continuously.

select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, {1, 48576} <unfinished ...>
--- SIGTERM (Terminated) ---
--- SIGTERM (Terminated) ---
--- SIGTERM (Terminated) ---
<... select resumed> )                  = -1 EINTR (Interrupted system
call)
sigreturn(0xbfbff838)                   = -1 EINTR (Interrupted system
call)

at this point, apache seems to spin out of control, I could no longer
stop it with apachectl, I had to do a killall -9 httpd and wait for a
while until the httpd process stop and go away.

The box is a dual PIII box with 2G of ram, running freebsd 4.4 stable,
apache 1.3.26 and mod_perl 1.26,  the box serve only cgi program written
in perl, and it is serving at speed about 10 pages per seconds.

Anyone know around have seen this before?  anyone know if there's a
solution to this?

Many thanks.

Tor.