Posted to users@sling.apache.org by "Zach A. Thomas" <za...@aeroplanesoftware.com> on 2010/07/23 19:22:34 UTC

how to deploy new app jar?

Hi, everyone. I'm a committer on the Sakai 3 project, which we're building on top of Sling.

We use a modified version of Sling's Launchpad App. Essentially, it's Sling plus a lot of additional bundles.

While I'm doing development, I may end up with a new app jar several times a day. When I'm working on my own machine, I can simply stop Sling, blow away the sling directory, and run the new jar. However, we now have a staging environment at NYU which uses Oracle as the Jackrabbit store, and when I want to roll out a new app jar, I'd rather not drop the whole database if I don't have to. When we go to production, dropping the database will (understandably) no longer make sense.

I have no trouble using the Felix console to update bundles one-by-one, but is there a good way to update _all_ the bundles in the Launchpad App without dropping all my database tables? Bringing down the server is ok.

many thanks,
Zach Thomas
Sakai Developer
NYU Consultant
Sling Enthusiast

Re: how to deploy new app jar?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Carl Hall <ca...@hallwaytech.com> wrote:
> ...Our project (Sakai) has about 100 of its own bundles.  Using
> maven-sling-plugin works for a small number of bundles but trying to update
> this many bundles at once on a live server has shown terrible memory issues
> for us....

Do you know if that's heap memory issues, or PermGen?

-Bertrand

Re: how to deploy new app jar?

Posted by Carl Hall <ca...@hallwaytech.com>.
Our project (Sakai) has about 100 of its own bundles.  Using
maven-sling-plugin works for a small number of bundles but trying to update
this many bundles at once on a live server has shown terrible memory issues
for us.

Is there a 'best practices' way to do full application updates like this in
a running or downed server?

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Re: how to deploy new app jar?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.