Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by di...@multitask.com.au on 2004/03/15 01:11:20 UTC

Suggestions for decoupling the core

As part of the ongoing process of decoupling the core, I think we should
split the jelly tags out from the maven cvs repository into a maven-tags
repository.

One of the issues with maven releases has been that new tags are
introduced, and the tags are part of the core maven jar. This would help
alleviate the issue, and allow us to correctly specify the dependencies
between the tags and maven core.

Comments?
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

Re: Suggestions for decoupling the core

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote on 15/03/2004 12:41:00 PM:

> On Monday 15 March 2004 08:11, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> > As part of the ongoing process of decoupling the core, I think we
should
> > split the jelly tags out from the maven cvs repository into a
maven-tags
> > repository.
>

> Hi,
> I am using Maven only because Avalon decided at some point to adapt it,
and I
> suggest a much more wanted thing from Maven being done first;
>

>  * *  Stablize it  * *

rc1 and rc2 are attempts at this. Don't use HEAD, as it's 1.1.

> At the moment, we are using about 3 versions (beta-10, 1.0-rc1 and
head), and
> none of the them work flawlessly.
> What is making things even more complex, is the fact that we end up with

> out-of-sync plug-ins, so switching between Maven versions are more than
just
> changing the symlink.

Have you reported bugs against RC1 for the bugs?

> I (and probably chores of others) would become very happy if Maven folks
took
> a break from Featuritis, and concentrated on fixing up problems and
fulfilled
> its promise and made a rock-solid first 1.0 Release and possibly
following up
> with 1.0.1 and so forth. Something that all we others can depend on.

And I thought thats what was happening. I don't think I mentioned what
release that feature was for, but I certainly wasn't saying RC2.......

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 15 March 2004 08:11, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> As part of the ongoing process of decoupling the core, I think we should
> split the jelly tags out from the maven cvs repository into a maven-tags
> repository.

Hi,
I am using Maven only because Avalon decided at some point to adapt it, and I
suggest a much more wanted thing from Maven being done first;

 * *  Stablize it  * *

At the moment, we are using about 3 versions (beta-10, 1.0-rc1 and head), and
none of the them work flawlessly.
What is making things even more complex, is the fact that we end up with
out-of-sync plug-ins, so switching between Maven versions are more than just
changing the symlink.

I (and probably chores of others) would become very happy if Maven folks took
a break from Featuritis, and concentrated on fixing up problems and fulfilled
its promise and made a rock-solid first 1.0 Release and possibly following up
with 1.0.1 and so forth. Something that all we others can depend on.

Thanks from the Avalon Team

Niclas