Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Muhammad Asif Abbasi <as...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/12 15:18:15 UTC

Why is Apache Ranger called Ranger ?

Hi All,

I have recently joined the list and interested in project Ranger. I was
curious to know why Apache Ranger is called Ranger?

I believe it was formerly called Apache Argus. What were the motivations of
the name change?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Asif Abbasi

Re: Why is Apache Ranger called Ranger ?

Posted by Muhammad Asif Abbasi <as...@gmail.com>.
Hi Selva,

Many thanks for your response.

Any specific reasons why it was named Ranger ?

Regards,
Asif Abbasi

Posted by Selvamohan Neethiraj <sn...@apache.org>.
Hi Asif Abbasi:

There were few other products (non-Apache) seems to be using the name Argus.
That caused the team to select an alternate name, Ranger Š.

Thanks,
Selva-