Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by so...@essnmag.com on 2013/03/14 21:40:50 UTC

tomcat dead, service won't start

I had tomcat working earlier today, now it won't start. Not sure what I did, as I was in the process of trying to
integrate it with apache.

attaching log, but that probably won't go through.

Mar 14, 2013 4:21:57 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
WARNING: Catalina.start using conf/server.xml: Error at (105, 117) : org.apache.jk.config.ApacheConfig
Mar 14, 2013 4:21:57 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
SEVERE: Cannot start server. Server instance is not configured.

Steve Spence, KK4HFJ
http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com
http://www.essnmag.com

Re: tomcat dead, service won't start

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 14/03/2013 20:40, solar@essnmag.com wrote:
>> I had tomcat working earlier today, now it won't start. Not sure what I did, as I was in the process of trying to
>> integrate it with apache.
>>
>> attaching log, but that probably won't go through.
>>
>> Mar 14, 2013 4:21:57 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
>> WARNING: Catalina.start using conf/server.xml: Error at (105, 117) : org.apache.jk.config.ApacheConfig
>> Mar 14, 2013 4:21:57 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
>> SEVERE: Cannot start server. Server instance is not configured.
>
> /me Reaches for crystal ball to try and determine key information like
> Tomcat version number.

Yes, specially if it has this :
conf/server.xml: Error at (105, 117) : org.apache.jk.config.ApacheConfig

That sounds like something from a long-long time ago.

RE: tomcat dead, service won't start

Posted by "Harris, Jeffrey E." <Je...@ManTech.com>.

Mark, Andre,

I gave him the link to http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/ and copied from the Tomcat connector page.

In looking at the quick.html page, the information is somewhat out of date:

"You should first have mod_jk.so (unix) or mod_jk.dll (Windows) installed in your Apache module directory (see your Apache documentation to locate it).

"Usual locations for modules directory on Unix:

"/usr/lib/apache/
/usr/lib/apache2/
/usr/local/apache/libexec/

"Usual locations for modules directory on Windows :

"C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\modules\
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\modules\"

Note the references to mod_jk.dll, and "Apache Group".

Jeffrey Harris

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein and may contain proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail or believe that you received this email in error, please take immediate action to notify the sender of the apparent error by reply e-mail; permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments from your computer; and do not disseminate, distribute, use, or copy this message and any attachments.

Re: tomcat dead, service won't start

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 14/03/2013 21:17, Harris, Jeffrey E. wrote:

>>> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/apache.html
>>
>> In the section that says it is specific to Tomcat 5.5.x only?
>>
>> That doc could do with a refresh but the odds of something that is
>> specific to 5.5.x working on Tomcat 7 are slim to say the least.
>>
>> auto-configure doesn't exist in Tomcat 7.
>>

> There are many common features between Tomcat 5, 6, and 7.  How are we supposed to know
> which ones are deprecated, unless the documentation is updated?  The text says "this example is
> specific to Tomcat 5.x", not "this capability is not available after Tomcat 5.x".
>
> (I note in passing that this page also still has references to Tomcat 3.x!)

Like I said, the doc needs a refresh.

I gave it a quick scan. References to httpd 1.3, Tomcat 3, Tomcat 4,
Tomcat 5, mod_jserv and auto-configure need to be removed and I don't
know how accurate the build instructions are but the bulk of it - the
directive information - looks fine.

I'd also note (as Rainer has mentioned numerous times on this list)
that the mod_jk sources include more extensive configuration examples
[1] that are probably a better starting point.

Mark

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/jk/trunk/conf/

RE: tomcat dead, service won't start

Posted by "Harris, Jeffrey E." <Je...@ManTech.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by so...@essnmag.com.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 14/03/2013 20:45, solar@essnmag.com wrote:

>>  /me Reaches for crystal ball to try and determine key information like
>>  Tomcat version number.
>>
>>  Mark
>>

> Tomcat 7.0.37
> Tomcat Connectors 1.2.37
> Apache 2.2.22

Use the real documentation [1] rather than a clearly very old, very out
of date guide you dug up vis Google that has you trying to use a class
that was removed several years ago and deprecated even longer ago.

Mark

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/quick.html

Re: tomcat dead, service won't start

Posted by so...@essnmag.com.

>  /me Reaches for crystal ball to try and determine key information like
>  Tomcat version number.
>
>  Mark

Tomcat 7.0.37
Tomcat Connectors 1.2.37