Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca> on 2020/05/30 16:13:10 UTC

Beta 6 Step Backwards

I just loaded beta 6 and it wants to load nb-javac. The last beta I used, beta 4, allowed me to choose with a check box if I wanted it. So I'm curious, should I file a JIRA report or was a decision made to return to nb-javac? I then looked into the plugins dialog where something I never noticed before called User Installed Plugins is really nb-javac. Previously, to remove it I deleted the three nb-javac files directly from the modules folder of userdir leaving behind the JavaFX plugin. This time from the Plugins dialog I selected it and said to uninstall. What happened next was bizarre, the entire modules folder that also included the JavaFX for Windows module was deleted. If I restarted NetBeans and went to the plugins dialog it complained that the Linux and Mac JavaFX plugins could not be found. What am I missing here?

Ken

RE: Beta 6 Step Backwards

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.
Got it, found it in Show Details. A tree structure might be a better UI but I now have a technique I can explain to my students.

Thanks,

Ken

Am Samstag, den 30.05.2020, 16:13 +0000 schrieb Kenneth Fogel:
> I just loaded beta 6 and it wants to load nb-javac. The last beta I
> used, beta 4, allowed me to choose with a check box if I wanted it.
> So I’m curious, should I file a JIRA report or was a decision made to
> return to nb-javac?

Only if you can reproduce a problem. nbjavac was and will never be optional for running NetBeans Java Editing on JDK 8. It is required in that case.

> I then looked into the plugins dialog where something I never noticed
> before called User Installed Plugins is really nb-javac.

No it is not. nbjavac is _one of several_ plugins. Ensure you check "Show details" in the plugins dialog, then the individual plugins are listed. This behaviour (to group all "non core" plugins under "User installed plugins" is in NetBeans at least since 8 and most probably even longer.

> Previously, to remove it I deleted the three nb-javac files directly
> from the modules folder of userdir leaving behind the JavaFX plugin.

That will still work.

> This time from the Plugins dialog I selected it and said to uninstall.
> What happened next was bizarre, the entire modules folder that also
> included the JavaFX for Windows module was deleted.

You removed _all_ user installed plugins and not only nbjavac was removed, but JavaFX also.

>  If I restarted NetBeans and went to the plugins dialog it complained
> that the Linux and Mac JavaFX plugins could not be found. What am I
> missing here?

I think the comments above give some insight.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Beta 6 Step Backwards

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Re: Beta 6 Step Backwards

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 30 May 2020 at 17:22, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> Just make sure you really have Beta 6, maybe start with a fresh user
> directory. Beta 6 is explicitly there because it fixes bugs around your
> scenario and indeed you should be able to decide to not install nb-javac.

To be clear, the bug fix in beta6 was to make that dialog cancellable
(amongst other issues).  It still shows up on project load or import
settings.  That is a much bigger change to be looked at during 12.1
phase.

The addition of checkboxes to choose only JavaFX only happens in the
New Project wizard.  It doesn't solve the problem in other areas.

The dialog showing up is not a step backwards - follow same steps in
11.3 or any 12.0 beta and you'll see the same, just not be able to
cancel it and carry on working.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Beta 6 Step Backwards

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Just make sure you really have Beta 6, maybe start with a fresh user
directory. Beta 6 is explicitly there because it fixes bugs around your
scenario and indeed you should be able to decide to not install nb-javac.

Also, can you think carefully about the subject lines of your e-mails. In
this case, an informative subject line would be “Forced to install nb-javac
with Beta 6”, if this is what the problem is. The less emotion and the more
concise steps to reproduce a problem you provide, the better.

Gj