Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com> on 2001/01/09 21:14:07 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Ant Taglib Update, Committer, Taglib Documenting, Jakarta Taglib App [long]

Scott Stirling wrote:
> [...]
> The name thing is a good one.  What else should we call it?  I don't want
> people to be confused about the real Ant, and the Ant  Task JSP tag library.
> I myself switch back and forth from calling it the Ant Taglib or the Ant
> Task Taglib.  But to use the Ant name seemed the most obvious thing when the
> idea occurred to me.
> [...]

Since the taglib (as specified by the first goal in the Overview) is not
an exact match with the Ant tasks, I agree with Michael that it may be
confusing to call it anything Ant. I haven't had a chance to look at
it in detail yet, but I assume that all (or at least most) custom
actions
deal with file manipulation, so maybe File Taglib is a better name.
The fact that you can reuse some of the Ant code in the implementation
doesn't have to be reflected in the name (but credit in the docs would
be nice :-).

If you (or someone else) gets around to implement the second goal,
where a custom action really processes an Ant build file, the Ant Taglib
would be appropriate. But it can be a separate lib from the File Taglib.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com
Author of JavaServer Pages (O'Reilly), http://TheJSPBook.com