Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Richard Huntrods <hu...@athabascau.ca> on 2020/06/22 16:40:56 UTC

Re: users Digest 22 Jun 2020 10:06:54 -0000 Issue 13885

Brian & Calder,

On 6/22/2020 3:06 AM, users-digest-help@tomcat.apache.org<ma...@tomcat.apache.org> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020, 01:04 Brian <br...@emailbb.com> wrote

[ snip ]

- For some reason, the people at Ubuntu/Debian/Linux decided that Tomcat's

log should be found inside syslog, instead of staying independent inside
"catalina.out". Why is that? I don't know and I don't like it!

[ snip ]
.
Sorry - don't have a specific answer for your Ubuntu implementation.
.
However, this is one reason we do not use "distro-specific" Tomcat
installations (to include implementations of WebSphere and WebLogic).
.
For example, we grab the plain vanilla Tomcat ZIP and extract it to "/opt/"
(as in "/opt/tomcat/") - we now have complete control over its
configuration and runtime instantiation.

I agree completely. I started with Tomcat in 2000 on Sun Sparc servers running Solaris 8. Over the years I gradually updated to Solaris 10 on Sparc then Intel servers. Finally a couple of years ago I switched to Ubuntu (currently 18.04LTS) for simplicity in engaging the community.

Because my development server was a windows/intel machine (now perma-set to Win7) I needed a generic way to operate Tomcat on any OS.

As mentioned above, I always grabbed the zip and/or the tar.gz and simply extracted the file to an appropriate working directory. For Ubuntu, I use /opt/tomcat as well. This allows me to keep things under my control, or at least know where everything is and that it will remain relatively constant. Any variations or changes are well documented in the Tomcat changelogs and assistance can be rendered by the community.

Likewise I try and keep my Tomcat current and my Java versions consistent with the current Tomcat. I've found that although the upgrade process can sometimes be painful, it is at least well documented.

Cheers,

-Richard

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>      Virus-free. www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
--
This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please contact us immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communications received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.
---