Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1996/06/18 22:51:31 UTC

apache caching

I know it has been discussed before, but not for some time.
Has anyone looked deeper into caching some info for responses in apache?

If a URL has an Expires date, can we use that to let apache cache
info for fast access in the future? Perhaps just cache the header info
and filename in memory,  then when requested, apache would
only stat the file to see if it has changed and if not send back the headers
then the file without all the intermediate steps.

Memory's dirt cheap these days, so more and more servers will have
RAM to spare... Repeating the same code over and over for a gif that
hasn't changed in 3 months is a bit of a waste.

rob