Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Konovalov, Oleg" <Ol...@aurorabankfsb.com> on 2010/07/01 17:52:29 UTC

Version is Missing in POM

Hi,

I am very new to Maven, writing my first POM file.

I am getting errors like:

[0]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for
javax.mail:mail:jar

 [1]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for
javax.activation:activation:jar

Here is a snippet from my POM:

<dependencies>

    <dependency>

      <groupId>javax.mail</groupId>

      <artifactId>mail</artifactId>

    </dependency>

    <dependency>

      <groupId>javax.activation</groupId>

      <artifactId>activation</artifactId>

    </dependency>

............ etc. ........

</dependencies>

These are plain java   mail.jar,  activation.jar

There is no Version there.

And actually these dependencies I took from another POM from another
project which works fine.

What am I missing  ?    How to solve that ?

Please help !

TIA,

Oleg.

This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. This communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial product, an official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official statement of Aurora Bank FSB. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. Therefore, we do not represent that this information is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such. All information is subject to change without notice.

Re: Version is Missing in POM

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
most likely the pom you were copy&pasting from either inherited a
dependencyManagement section which is specifying the version in that pom.xml

-S.

Re: Version is Missing in POM

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
Dont read the book Better Builds with Maven. It is horribly out of date.
Check out Maven: The Complete Reference or Maven By Example..

More here

http://www.sonatype.com/documentation/books

manfred

Re: Version is Missing in POM

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

RE: Version is Missing in POM

Posted by Arnaud X Dostes <ar...@jpmorgan.com>.

Re: Version is Missing in POM

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
You have to specify a version for your dependencies, otherwise Maven
will not know which version you want to use.

Read more about the dependency mechanism here:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html

--
Dennis Lundberg