Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Darrin Wortlehock <dw...@googlemail.com> on 2009/01/15 17:09:52 UTC

Lucene Integration

Hi,

In late November I was working with davisp's couchdb-lucene, which
required jchris' action2 branch to work.

I am now returning to the development I was doing, building a new
development environment from scratch and it appears that jchris'
action2 branch has now gone away.

I am specifically interested in lucene integration. Can anybody
provide any hints on how to move forward?

Regards,

Darrin

Re: Lucene Integration

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Darrin Wortlehock
<dw...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> This is fantastic.
>
> I am going to check it out tonight and let you know how It goes.

Don't pay too much attention to the threading stuff. I'm gonna work on
swapping that out with stuff from the java.util.concurrent package
today after the suggestion last night by someone on IRC (wkinney).

Re: Lucene Integration

Posted by Darrin Wortlehock <dw...@googlemail.com>.
Paul,

Re: Lucene Integration

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> Again, maybe premature optimization, but the indexer could run a JS function
> over the doc and treat the result like a view result. Yes, this is
> duplicating a bit of the work that views do, but it saves storing one copy
> of the data.

I thought about this as well. I was mostly concerned with the extra
code complexity and dependencies this might add. Especially seeing as
that it's already baked into couchdb.

Patches definitely welcome though. :D

Paul

Re: Lucene Integration

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Lucene Integration

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Paul Davis
<pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason that I don't try and index the entire DB is because of the
> arbitrary structure to JSON. Indexing a value that isn't a string
> leads to a whole lot of questions with no good answers. By indexing a
> view I let people pick exactly which parts of their db they want
> indexed.

Woot! This is exactly the kind of FTI that I can see myself using for
my various projects. Thanks Paul!

The main advantage to full-db indexing is that it can be used without
knowing what the schema is. So eg you could provide an FTI web-service
for people's local databases, where they replicate the db to you and
you provide search, without them installing Lucene. But I consider
this an enhancement.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com

Re: Lucene Integration

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Lucene Integration

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Lucene Integration

Posted by Justin Cormack <ju...@specialbusservice.com>.

Re: Lucene Integration

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Nice job Paul,

On 18 Jan 2009, at 07:06, Paul Davis wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> I put in some work today on getting couchdb-lucene working with trunk
> and hopefully in an un-crappy method.
>
> Code: http://github.com/davisp/couchdb-lucene
> Write-Up: http://www.davispj.com/posts/11
>
> I'm pretty certain that there are a few rough spots in actual usage
> still, but it passes the cursory index/query usage. Please send feed
> back and preferably pull requests on github.com

This works as advertised. I hope we can get some Java-Heads on
this to make it more flexible on the indexing & searching end.
(anyone? :)

Re: Lucene Integration

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Everyone,