Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steven Probetts <sp...@rtsystems.com.au> on 2007/06/25 04:05:46 UTC

Deploying single .war file for use by multiple contexts - how do i override web.xml

Hi all,

The problem is we have 4 different sub companies which we want to
deploy a particular web app for.

What we want to do is stick a single .war file onto the server which
all companies point to,
and set up different context.xml files for each (since they have
different context data).

The problem is we also want different data (particularly the security
role data) in the different web.xml files but these are stuck in
the .war file.

So the question is:
Can we use the context file to alter the security role data (or more
accurately override it) in the web.xml file depending on which
company is using the web app.

Thanx in advance

Regards

Steven Probetts

Ph 9309 0555  Fax 9409 6828 Mb  040 968 4877
24 Mosey Street LANDSDALE WA 6065

This  email message is for the intended recipient(s) only and may
contain  confidential or privileged information. Unless expressly
permitted within this  email message, you are not to disclose this
email message to anyone else. If  this email message has been sent to
you in error, please forward this email  message to
info@rtsgroup.com.au and delete  this email message. Residential
Truss Systems Pty Ltd does not guarantee that  this email message is
free of errors, virus or any other  interference.

RE: Deploying single .war file for use by multiple contexts - how do i override web.xml

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Steven Probetts [mailto:sprobetts@rtsystems.com.au]
> Subject: Deploying single .war file for use by multiple
> contexts - how do i override web.xml
>
> Can we use the context file to alter the security role data
> (or more accurately override it) in the web.xml
> <http://web.xml/>  file depending on which company is using
> the web app.

Perhaps.  You can't override the web.xml settings, since that
information is defined by the servlet spec, and things in <Context> are
outside of the spec.  However, you could specify a different <Realm>
inside each <Context>, and that might suffice.

You could also use a Filter to implement the necessary security,
possibly in conjunction with the web.xml settings.  I seem to recall
that there are some open-source security Filters already available that
have been mentioned in other threads.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.