Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it> on 2003/05/08 17:00:54 UTC

RE: Exception calling NotifySender (was in james-user)

Noel,

> > 1) Send a message using *Microsoft Outlook 2000* *with no text* and
> >    with a *non .txt* attachment to an unexistent recipient in a
> >    James host.
>
> > 4) You get the exception shown below [because] such content-type is
> >    not recognized somewhere and the notification fails.
>
> > Using James Version 2.1.2a2, Sun j2re1.4.0, Windows 2000 Server.
>
> you must try the nightly James v2.1.3 build and see if it is
> fixed there.

I've tried with James Version 2.1.3a4 (second post) but the problem is still there.

Vincenzo

RE: Exception calling NotifySender (was in james-user)

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

> > > 4) You get the exception shown below [because] such content-type is
> > >    not recognized somewhere and the notification fails.

This might be a bug in javaMail, I believe there was such a bug, but I can't remember the details.

d.

Re: NotifySender vs bounce method (was: Exception calling NotifySender)

Posted by Hontvari Jozsef <ho...@solware.com>.
> I can easily code up a Bounce mailet to call MailetContext.bounce(), but I
> wanted to see what people's thoughts were relevant to this distinction.

Sure, NotifySender's behaviour combined with the default configuration file
is misleading. A standard bounce mailet using the return-path and a
meaningful from name (like MAILER-DAEMON@company.com) but with null
return-path is a must have.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > 1) Send a message using *Microsoft Outlook 2000* *with no text* and
> >    with a *non .txt* attachment to an unexistent recipient in a
> >    James host.

> > 4) You get the exception shown below [because] such content-type is
> >    not recognized somewhere and the notification fails.

> I've tried with James Version 2.1.3a4 (second post) but the problem is
still there.

OK, I am working on this, but I do have some questions.  NotifySender is
being used as a bounce mailet, but it does not actually do the same things
as MailetContext.bounce():

bounce:       sets a null return-path
              sends the reply according to the return path of the original
message

NotifySender: sets a non-null return-path
              sends the reply according to mail.getSender()

The MailetContext.bounce() method has better handling for constructing the
content of the bounce message.  Also, we have MailImpl.bounce, which doesn't
appear to be used but has yet another variation on the theme.

What is the INTENT of NotifySender?  Talking it over with Peter, he seems to
think that the bounce method is used for generating non-replyable messages
(bounce messages), whereas the NotifySender mailet is "for messages for
which you want a response to be generated."  In his view, "NotifySender is
not really an error tool", but that is not how it appears to be used, nor
how it is promoted in the current config.xml file.

I can easily code up a Bounce mailet to call MailetContext.bounce(), but I
wanted to see what people's thoughts were relevant to this distinction.

	--- Noel