Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/09 03:02:23 UTC

[MATH] src/userguide/pom.xml does not use Commons Parent

As the subject says.

This makes it very tricky to compile & test with anything other than
the Maven JVM.
Recent versions of Maven require 1.6.

Any objections to adding CP 36 as a parent?

Re: [MATH] src/userguide/pom.xml does not use Commons Parent

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 9 January 2015 at 04:44, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/8/15 7:02 PM, sebb wrote:
>> As the subject says.
>>
>> This makes it very tricky to compile & test with anything other than
>> the Maven JVM.
>> Recent versions of Maven require 1.6.
>>
>> Any objections to adding CP 36 as a parent?
>
> Yes.  I just wasted an hour fiddling with the main [math] build
> trying to get it to work under JDK 1.5 so I could just run the
> tests.  Adding more unseen cruft to builds is to be avoided unless
> really necessary.  Honestly, a simple build.xml would be way easier
> for people actually wanting to compile the examples to use.

That's because Maven and/or some plugins now require Java 1.6.

Which is precisely why we added the java-1.x profiles to CP to make it
*simpler* to test with different Java versions, regardless of the Java
version that Maven requires.

> <rant>About 45 minutes in, I realized why I hate the way we use
> maven.  We seem to want to create these monstrous "push one button"
> things when what we need are small, sharp tools.  I really wish
> there were a way to get to a well-factored, cleanly integrated set
> of build scripts / tools instead of the morass of visible and hidden
> xml that is our pom structure.   I would never design anything as
> convoluted as the pom structure of math + commons parent + apache
> parent + maven land as a solution to a programming problem.  But we
> seem to want to just keep piling more stuff into it.  Aaargh!</rant>

If the stuff was not in the parent pom, it would mostly have to be in
the individual component poms.

That was the whole point of the parent pom - to define common stuff,
and ensure consistency in the release artifacts.
Do you really want to add all the manifest and OSGI stuff to every
component pom?

But I do agree with the dislike of the single button approach in general.
One reason why I do not like the release plugin.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 01/09/2015 03:02 AM, sebb wrote:
> As the subject says.
>
> This makes it very tricky to compile & test with anything other than
> the Maven JVM.
> Recent versions of Maven require 1.6.
>
> Any objections to adding CP 36 as a parent?

Can we please keep this as simple as possible?

Otherwise I change it to a ant build script as Phil suggested.

Thomas