Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by easter <ea...@free.fr> on 2003/05/16 13:39:01 UTC

Redeployment shortcuts anyone?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had development any shortcuts (or I'm missing
something big in Axis) to help me speed up development of my web service.
Each time I modify it's code, I recopy the jar files to the Axis root,
and do an undeploy/deploy as usual, followed by a stop/start of my Tomcat
server so the new classes will be loaded.

This takes and unreasonable amount of my time, so surely I'm not the
first one to have this problem.
Is there no mechanism like the Tomcat deploy/undeploy which uses a
different classloader each time something is deployed?

I'm also pretty amazed that the Axis deployment doesn't allow you to
upload your files, rather than copy them directly to a disk location,
although I suppose this would be planned for some later version.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated to help my speed up my
development iterations.

Cheers.
WH

Re: Redeployment shortcuts anyone?

Posted by James Waldrop <su...@well.com>.
I do two things to reload my class files:

server.xml:
<Context path="/axis" docBase="/home/james/axis" debug="1"
reloadable="true">

The second is that all my files are in their own JAR in
~/axis/WEB-INF/lib

The reloadable flag plus using the Axis lib means that the JAR is
reloaded within 5s of being updated (and of course there are lots of
ways to update the JAR).

Mostly this works, every now and then I have to restart Tomcat, but it's
very rare.

James

Re: Redeployment shortcuts anyone?

Posted by Albert Bupp <al...@backsoft.com>.
Here's a set of ANT targets which we've been using on tomcat-3.3.1 &
weblogic-7.0. Of course, you'll need to fill in the referenced property
values for your system.

<target name="generate_service" depends="init">
     <javac srcdir="${build}"
            includes="**\*.java"
            destdir="${build}"
            debug="${debug}"
            optimize="${optimize}"
            verbose="${verbose}"
            classpath="${service.libs}" />
     <jar jarfile="${build}\${service.lib}"
          basedir="${build}"
          includes="**\*.class" />

     <copy file="${build}\${service.lib}" todir="${axis.path}"
overwrite="yes" />

     <!-- force app server to reload lib path -->
     <touch>
         <fileset dir="${axis.path}\.." />
     </touch>
</target>

<target name="deploy_service" depends="init">
     <property name="deploy.cp" value="${axis.libs};${service.libs}" />
     <echo message="using classpath: ${deploy.cp}" />
     <java classname="org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient" fork="yes">
         <arg value="${build}\deploy.wsdd" />
         <arg value="-l${axis.url}/AdminService" />
         <classpath path="${deploy.cp}" />
     </java>
</target>

Posted by Guillaume Sauthier <Gu...@Bull.Net>.