Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de> on 2008/10/12 18:01:43 UTC

interface Partition: Difference between getSuffixDn() and getUpSuffixDn?

Hi all!

I try to experiment with the Partition interface in order to provide a
simple example for the Docs. Here is a question I have.

In the interface org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.Partition
(which I have to implement) the two methods getSuffixDn() and
getUpSuffixDn() have the same javadoc. It states "Gets the
distinguished/absolute name of the suffix for all entries stored within
this ContextPartition."

What is the difference between the two, and what exactly does the "Up"
in getUpSuffixDn() mean? I was thinking about "user provided". Perhaps
one is expected in a normalized way ... But these are only guesses.

Thanks in advance,
     Stefan

Re: interface Partition: Difference between getSuffixDn() and getUpSuffixDn?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Hi all!
Hi Stefan,

> I try to experiment with the Partition interface in order to provide a
> simple example for the Docs. Here is a question I have.
>
> In the interface org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.Partition
> (which I have to implement) the two methods getSuffixDn() and
> getUpSuffixDn() have the same javadoc. It states "Gets the
> distinguished/absolute name of the suffix for all entries stored
> within this ContextPartition."
yeah, this is pretty lousy.

> What is the difference between the two, and what exactly does the "Up"
> in getUpSuffixDn() mean? I was thinking about "user provided". Perhaps
> one is expected in a normalized way ... But these are only guesses.
It's 'User provided', which doe snot make a lot of sense when you know
that you get a DN, which already provides methods to get the UP value.

It certainly has to be fixed...

Thanks for pointing out this !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: interface Partition: Difference between getSuffixDn() and getUpSuffixDn?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
First we must make sure LdapDN works properly in returning the updn.  We
need to cleanup LdapDN before cleaning up the partition.

Alex

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com>.
hi Stefan,

 yeah you are right getSuffixDn() gives a normalized DN where as
getUpSuffixDn() gives the user provided.

 Will change the javadoc.

 Kiran Ayyagari