Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by James Croft <ja...@ednet.co.uk> on 2001/05/15 12:08:12 UTC

Apache::DBI missing methods?!

Hi,

I've just joined the list looking for an answer to this. A couple of
others have posted the same problem but I couldn't find any answers.

I'm running RH6.2 with standard Apache, perl and mod_perl rpms. I'm
hitting a brick wall if I include a 'PerlModule Apache::DBI' line in
httpd.conf - Apache starts up but shuts down immediately. I created a test
script that just use's the module and I get the following error

Can't locate object method "module" via package "Apache" at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/Apache/DBI.pm line 202. BEGIN
failed--compilation aborted at ./test.pl line 4.

Which must be what's frying httpd.

Does anyone know what's going on? Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

James

James Croft
System Administrator
edNET - Internet Working Solutions
t: +44 (0)131 466 7003 (main)
t: +44 (0)131 466 7018 (direct)
pgp: www.ednet.co.uk/~james/public_key.asc

Re: Apache::DBI missing methods?!

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ne...@writeme.com>.

> Hi,
>
> I've just joined the list looking for an answer to this. A couple of
> others have posted the same problem but I couldn't find any answers.
>
> I'm running RH6.2 with standard Apache, perl and mod_perl rpms. I'm
> hitting a brick wall if I include a 'PerlModule Apache::DBI' line in
> httpd.conf - Apache starts up but shuts down immediately. I created a test
> script that just use's the module and I get the following error
>
> Can't locate object method "module" via package "Apache" at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/Apache/DBI.pm line 202. BEGIN
> failed--compilation aborted at ./test.pl line 4.
>
> Which must be what's frying httpd.

Well, first of all, you can't just make a perl script with use Apache::xx
and expect perl to run it - the Apache::xx family is only usable from within
the mod_perl environment, so that's probably what's causing your error - but
that wouldn't happen in Apache...

Try looking at your error_log for clues on what's killing Apache.

   Issac

Internet is a wonderful mechanism for making a fool of
yourself in front of a very large audience.
  --Anonymous

Moving the mouse won't get you into trouble...  Clicking it might.
  --Anonymous

PGP Key 0xE0FA561B - Fingerprint:
7E18 C018 D623 A57B 7F37 D902 8C84 7675 E0FA 561B

Re: Apache::DBI missing methods?!

Posted by Tim Gardner <tg...@codeHorse.com>.
I don't know if there is a downside (perhaps I can't use status?),
but when I commented out the 'Apache::Status->menu_item( ...'
section, it seemed to work ok.

Tim

Posted by James Croft <ja...@ednet.co.uk>.
On Tue, 15 May 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> > Can't locate object method "module" via package "Apache" at
> > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/Apache/DBI.pm line 202. BEGIN
> > failed--compilation aborted at ./test.pl line 4.
> >
> > Which must be what's frying httpd.
> >
> > Does anyone know what's going on? Any help or suggestions appreciated.
>
> Have you tried:
> http://perl.apache.org/guide/troubleshooting.html#Can_t_locate_object_method_get_
> or
> PREREQUISITES
>        Note that this module needs mod_perl-1.08 or higher,
>        apache_1.3.0 or higher and that mod_perl needs to be
>        configured with the appropriate call-back hooks:
>
>          PERL_CHILD_INIT=1 PERL_STACKED_HANDLERS=1.

Thanks Stas,

Thing is, I'm sure all the prerequisites have been met.

I'm running apache 1.3.14 and mod_perl 1.21, mod_perl was configured with
EVERYTHING=1.

The docs don't say so but does ApacheDBI depend on any other modules?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.