Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/02/24 20:47:36 UTC

Planning at EclipseCon

Hi,

I think at least a few of us will be at EclipseCon. Brett, you
mentioned that you're going to be there and I see that Carlos is
going to be there.

I would like to take a swing at the planning for Maven 2.1 in a more
official way then JIRA and Maven Enterprise. I have chatted with
Kenney and John about 2.1 work but it needs to be placed in the wiki
for broad consumption. I will clean up the design queue, the wiki and
related JIRA issues which are all a mess. I will attempt to finish
this for EclipseCon and I'm going to try using the pattern approach
to changes and I can do a little presentation on the method at
EclipseCon. I will also talk with Andy and try to get the ideas for
Maven Enterprise which is in the sandbox but we would like to get a
first working version based on official releases and then put up the
vote to move it out of the sandbox.

I know Joakim has been doing a lot of work on Wagon and Archiva so
are you going to be at EclipseCon? If you have a way you want to
communicate changes. I honestly didn't find the large email
particularly compelling and anyone not on the list will never find
it. I honestly think the design documents approach in the wiki is the
only way.

Would be nice if folks could give a summary of Continuum changes and
for anyone and we could certainly organize a meeting or BOF at
Eclipse to discuss everything. I'll be in SF from March 3-10 and
other then the times I'm presenting I'm free. I put the a page in the
wiki where people can state their available times and we can figure
out a time if people are interested.

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/EclipseCon+2007+Maven+BOF

Jason.

Re: Planning at EclipseCon

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
(replies inline below)

- Joakim

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think at least a few of us will be at EclipseCon. Brett, you
> mentioned that you're going to be there and I see that Carlos is going
> to be there.
>
> I would like to take a swing at the planning for Maven 2.1 in a more
> official way then JIRA and Maven Enterprise. I have chatted with
> Kenney and John about 2.1 work but it needs to be placed in the wiki
> for broad consumption. I will clean up the design queue, the wiki and
> related JIRA issues which are all a mess. I will attempt to finish
> this for EclipseCon and I'm going to try using the pattern approach to
> changes and I can do a little presentation on the method at
> EclipseCon. I will also talk with Andy and try to get the ideas for
> Maven Enterprise which is in the sandbox but we would like to get a
> first working version based on official releases and then put up the
> vote to move it out of the sandbox.
Excellent news!  If we have some ideas we want to throw on the table,
but can't be there in person, what's the best way for us to get them to you?
> I know Joakim has been doing a lot of work on Wagon and Archiva so are
> you going to be at EclipseCon? If you have a way you want to
> communicate changes. I honestly didn't find the large email
> particularly compelling and anyone not on the list will never find it.
> I honestly think the design documents approach in the wiki is the only
> way.
I'm working on getting a grip on some of the design (reporting) still.
I'll be spending substantial quantities of time in the wiki this week
updating the archiva docs with the updates / plans / milestones / future.

As for Wagon, I'm not aware of a location in Wiki for that.   ( /me
looks deeply into jira's eyes ... )
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/EclipseCon+2007+Maven+BOF
Oh, I guess this is the answer to my first question. heh.

Re: Planning at EclipseCon

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Just a note that I will be reachable off/on this week via email but I
will be offline for most of the week. So not ignoring any planning
emails, but I won't have access to anything being in the environment
I'm going to be in. I'll check the wiki and be on line in the
evenings PST.

Thanks,

Jason.

Re: Planning at EclipseCon

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 25/02/2007, at 6:47 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think at least a few of us will be at EclipseCon. Brett, you
> mentioned that you're going to be there and I see that Carlos is
> going to be there.

No, I'm actually going to be in LA. Close, but no cigar.

> I would like to take a swing at the planning for Maven 2.1 in a
> more official way then JIRA and Maven Enterprise. I have chatted
> with Kenney and John about 2.1 work but it needs to be placed in
> the wiki for broad consumption.

+1

> I will clean up the design queue, the wiki and related JIRA issues
> which are all a mess. I will attempt to finish this for EclipseCon
> and I'm going to try using the pattern approach to changes and I
> can do a little presentation on the method at EclipseCon.

Thanks!

> I will also talk with Andy and try to get the ideas for Maven
> Enterprise which is in the sandbox but we would like to get a first
> working version based on official releases and then put up the vote
> to move it out of the sandbox.

cool

> I know Joakim has been doing a lot of work on Wagon and Archiva so
> are you going to be at EclipseCon? If you have a way you want to
> communicate changes. I honestly didn't find the large email
> particularly compelling and anyone not on the list will never find
> it. I honestly think the design documents approach in the wiki is
> the only way.

+1

This is pretty much what we've already agreed to do - time to get
back to it.

Wiki overall prioritised list of features for a release -> design
documents -> JIRA tasks.

Mailing list is great for discussing the design documents (or posting
summaries/notices of wiki updates if a more interactive discussion
happened), but crap for keeping track of things.

> Would be nice if folks could give a summary of Continuum changes
> and for anyone and we could certainly organize a meeting or BOF at
> Eclipse to discuss everything. I'll be in SF from March 3-10 and
> other then the times I'm presenting I'm free. I put the a page in
> the wiki where people can state their available times and we can
> figure out a time if people are interested.

Not sure how many people you'll really get there, but I can make time
in that period to be online and working on tasks.

- Brett