Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Emmanuel Charpentier <em...@free.fr> on 2002/06/13 15:30:40 UTC

jboss, cocoon, jetty

  Hi

  I've managed to install and configure different setups:
  1) jetty+cocoon, fast and clean. Startup takes no time and pages take
  only 10 to 20 milliseconds to execute
  2) jboss/jetty+cocoon, huge and slow. Statup takes two minutes, and
  pages take whole seconds to execute.

  jetty+cocoon standalone talking to jboss is a great setup, but
  security seem to be much tougher to configure if at all possible (JAAS
  security).

  Plus I have to install xerces in jboss/lib and add it into jboss's
  classpath otherwise I get
  "SAX2 driver class org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser not found"

  Anybody know anything or has any experience with that setup?
  Why is jboss/jetty+cocoon so painfully slowwww?
  Why isn't jboss's crimson.jar and jaxp.jar sufficient as a xml parser???

  emmanuel charpentier

  gnu-linux/debian, j2sdk1.3

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
  at
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderFactory.createXMLReader(XMLReaderFactory.java:121)
  at
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderFactory.createXMLReader(XMLReaderFactory.java:96)
  at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.markup.AbstractMarkupLanguage.generateCode(AbstractMarkupLanguage.java:377)
  at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.generateResource(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:365)
  at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.createResource(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:328)
  at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.load(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:291)
  at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.run(Handler.java:270)
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Re: jboss, cocoon, jetty

Posted by Nick Airey <ni...@ihavemoved.com>.
Hello,

I am using Cocoon as the presentation layer of a J2EE application. It is
deployed on the jboss 244/tomcat 401 combination.

It works fine, and I am happy with the speed - my entire ear (the cocoon
based webapp and 42 EJB's) and misc JMS and database connections takes
45 sec to start on a modest desktop PC (600MHz, 512MB ram, redhat linux
72). The whole thing is fronted by Apache for SSL support. I am using
JVM 1.3.1 .

I was considering deploying cocoon on a standalone servlet container,
but I couldn't get JAAS security working with tomcat standalone and
jboss standalone. I could, however, get it working in the single JVM
configuration. I've never tried it with jetty, because the prvailing
wisdom of this user group about 3 months ago was to go with tomcat, as
cocoon had the most testing on this container.

As for parsers, I was forced to use crimson instead of xerces because of
a well documented problem in Jboss 244 - ajp13 connector configuration.
See the jboss user groups for more of this... It went really easily -
just ensure that a recent version of crimson.jar is in the jboss/lib
directory, and is first on the classpath and it works.

As for xslt engines, that is correct - you need xalan-xxx.jar and
xml-api.jar in jboss/lib/ext, and in your WEB-INF/lib directory of your
ear, but you don't need it in your classpath.

Regs,
Nick

ps. In my opinion, cocoon makes an excellent presentation layer to front
a J2EE application - you have to write some custom generators to access
your ejb's, and some custom actions to do your control logic, but they
are all easy when you get the hang of them. (ie cocoon is the V and C
from the MVC paradigm).

Re: [JBoss-user] jboss, cocoon, jetty

Posted by Jules Gosnell <ju...@mortbay.com>.
Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
>   Hi
>
>   I've managed to install and configure different setups:
>   1) jetty+cocoon, fast and clean. Startup takes no time and pages take
>   only 10 to 20 milliseconds to execute
>   2) jboss/jetty+cocoon, huge and slow. Statup takes two minutes, and
>   pages take whole seconds to execute.
>
>   jetty+cocoon standalone talking to jboss is a great setup, but
>   security seem to be much tougher to configure if at all possible (JAAS
>   security).
>
>   Plus I have to install xerces in jboss/lib and add it into jboss's
>   classpath otherwise I get
>   "SAX2 driver class org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser not found"
>
>   Anybody know anything or has any experience with that setup?
>   Why is jboss/jetty+cocoon so painfully slowwww?
>   Why isn't jboss's crimson.jar and jaxp.jar sufficient as a xml parser???
>
>   emmanuel charpentier
>
>   gnu-linux/debian, j2sdk1.3

I noticed that Cocoon was slow in JBoss/Jetty as well. I suspect that it
is simply the VM having to cope with a lot more than just Jetty & JBoss.
However, if this is the case, then it is a good argument against
collapsing all your tiers into one process, however you WILL pay on the
serialisation between your presentation and business tiers. (what VM are
you using?) Unfortunately, all the work I have done has been on
colocating these tiers, although it should be possible to seperate them
and maintain the JAAS functionality - you will need to talk to Scott on
jboss-user and Greg on jetty-discuss...

Alternatively it could be something about the integration code or Jetty
that is making it slower. To remove this variable I would try running it
under standalone Tomcat and JBoss/Tomcat. If Tomcat does not slow down
then us Jetty guys will have to get our profiling hats on fast....

As for the XML parser problem, I noticed this. I just replaced the
crimson.jar that comes in JBoss with a xerces jar from the java_xml_pack
- worked fine. I think that we are just shipping with a slightly ancient
parser, but didn't follow it up any further... - any takers ?

Let me know if you try the same with Tomcat - I would be very interested
to hear the results...

Jules