Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Andras Sali <sa...@gmail.com> on 2022/01/17 17:10:50 UTC

Re: HiDPI (Retina) upscaling

Hi All,

I have followed up a bit on this topic and have put together a POC using
Tensorflow.JS and Guacamole.

The idea is that I have trained a convolutional network using high-low
resolution screenpairs and then interactively this is applied in Guacamole
using Tensorflow.JS WebGL backend.

Currently this seems to be working relatively well using Chrome / Edge (as
this supports WebGL in webworkers). Currently only devicePixelRatio=2 is
supported (e.g. most HiDPI laptops or for external screens the scaling
needs to be set to 200%).

If someone is interesting in trying it out, I have put together a self
contained docker-image which is available at
https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/andrassali/guac-scale

This simply runs a VS Code application, which can be accessed on
http://localhost:8080. Scaling can be disabled via using the URL
http://localhost:8080?disableScaling=1

I have also put it up via a simple azure web app if someone would like to
try it without pulling the docker image:

https://guacscale.azurewebsites.net/

https://guacscale.azurewebsites.net?disableScaling=1 (to disable the
scaling)

I would be curious for the feedback if there is interest in incorporating
such a feature into Guacamole. I would be happy to start to set up a PR
process in this case. The performance is acceptable I believe, there is a
bit of lag sometimes when 'sharpening' the image, but I find it quite
usable.

Many thanks,

AndrĂ¡s