Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Jonas Arnsmann <ap...@fse.uni-due.de> on 2009/02/12 11:58:10 UTC

Running James inside JBoss 5.0.0 GA

Hi..

I'm trying to embed James 2.3.1 into an JEE5 Container (JBOSS5)
So far i have followed the instructions provided at:
http://wiki.apache.org/james/Embedded
I'm well aware, that these instructions are pretty old and might not
apply to the latest JBOSS Versions.. But i just want to give it a try..
It would save me from writing my own SMTP Listener for JBOSS5 :)

Phoenix 4.0.3 causes the following Exceptions during the AS Container
Startup Phase (Framework was patched according to the instructions
provided in the James Wiki and then rebuild with ANT 1.7.0):
(sourcecode was checked out from svn: http://svn.apache.org/repos
/asf/avalon/tags/Phoenix_4_0_3/avalon-phoenix/ )

Full Stack Trace is provided here:
http://pastebin.com/f38143243

I have also tried with the Phoenix Trunk (sourcecode was checked out
from svn: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avalon/cvs-migration-snapshot/
avalon-phoenix/ ), but i seem to have no luck today:

Just another Stack Trace provided here..
http://pastebin.com/f6f42214f

Would be great, if someone could provide me with some hints on this
matter :)

Greetings from Germany,
Jonas Arnsmann

Re: Running James inside JBoss 5.0.0 GA

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Bernd Fondermann
<be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 14:28, Jonas Arnsmann
> <ap...@fse.uni-due.de> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin schrieb:
>>  >> Would be great, if someone could provide me with some hints on this

>>> trunk contains a spring deployment which might well be a better bet
>>>
>>> there are a number of people interested in embedding trunk so if you
>>> started from there, i'm sure we'd be able to get it working. 2.x is a
>>> bit of a different matter, though.
>>
>> Building the spring deployment from the current James trunk worked fine for
>> me..
>> Starting ./run.sh inside the bin directory doesn't bring up any errors..
>> All my custom mailets from James 2.3.1 work fine too..
>> Even the config.xml only had to be slightly modified :)
>>
>> However i would need some help on getting the spring deployment to run
>> inside Jboss?
>> Has anyone done this before?
>>
>> Reading through http://www.jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-10783 i understand,
>> that a JBoss
>> Spring deployment should have this structure..
>>
>> my-app.spring/
>>   org/
>>      acme/
>>          ~MyBean.class
>>          ~MyBean2.class
>>   META-INF/
>>           jboss-spring.xml
>>
>> However i'm unable to find, a *.jar or *.sar file inside the dist directory,
>> that would have
>> this structure?
>
> try the experimental war build in /spring-deployment.
> from the checkout root do
>  cd spring-deployment
>  ant dist-war
>

>> Excuse me, if some of this questions sound a little stupid, but i'm not a
>> big J2EE Expert, yet :)
>> Only started with JBoss a couple of weeks ago..
>
> from a cursory look through the doc you linked to, I think you need
> for JBoss to deploy the spring-based war
> 1. install a deployer into JBoss capable of detecting spring-enabled
> packages (wars)
> 2. adopt the war to contain some config file the deployer looks for
> per convention
>
> dist-war was created with Tomcat/Jetty as targets, not JBoss
>
> Pls, if you have more questions or get it working, come back to the
> list and tell us :-)

+1

it'd be cool to make a fully integration distribution available

- robert

Re: Running James inside JBoss 5.0.0 GA

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Jonas Arnsmann
<ap...@fse.uni-due.de> wrote:
> Issue is now discussed on:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-834

sorry about being a bit slow to respond on list (i've been on holiday
and then caught a cold)

i'll try to pick this up in the next day or two

- robert

Posted by Jonas Arnsmann <ap...@fse.uni-due.de>.
Issue is now discussed on:

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Jonas Arnsmann
>> <ap...@fse.uni-due.de> wrote:
>>
>> hi jonas
>>
>> hope you're still around ;-)

>> <snip>

>>> I'm trying to run the WAR Build on Tomcat 6.. It keeps failing with an
>>> IllegalArgumentException.. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> JBoss 5 and Jetty Deployments create the same exception..
>>>
>>> The Stacktrace is:
>>> ---
>>> 16.02.2009 10:57:59 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
>>>
>>> SCHWERWIEGEND: Error deploying web application archive
>>> james-server-spring-deployment-3.0-SNAPSHOT.war
>>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
>>> oro,excalibur-i18n,excalibur-extension-Extension-Name
>>>       at java.util.jar.Attributes$Name.<init>(Attributes.java:440)
>>>       at java.util.jar.Attributes.getValue(Attributes.java:99)
>>>       at
>>>
>>> org.apache.catalina.util.ManifestResource.getRequiredExtensions(ManifestResource.java:186)
>>
>> this looks very much like the war has a bad manifest
>>
>> i think the JEE1.3 extensions bit is broken. i don't think that the
>> extensions stuff should be used anyway, so probably it would be better
>> if it were removed.
>
> as far as I debugged this, it's a problem with the manifests of some of the
> jars contained in ...war!/WEB-INF/lib/ - not with the WAR itself.
> As Jonas found out, when fixing (by upgrading) the jars the problems go
> away, or more precisely the next bad jar generates the same problem.
> But the thread (and JIRA) have a lot more info.
>
> Or do you have something else in mind?

no, no - i was just late on this thread

so, the problem looks like old dependencies in phoenix. are these
actually required for the war?

- robert

Re: Running James inside JBoss 5.0.0 GA

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Jonas Arnsmann
> <ap...@fse.uni-due.de> wrote:
>
> hi jonas
>
> hope you're still around ;-)
>
>> Bernd Fondermann schrieb:
>>> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 14:28, Jonas Arnsmann
>
> <snip>

>>> from a cursory look through the doc you linked to, I think you need
>>> for JBoss to deploy the spring-based war
>>> 1. install a deployer into JBoss capable of detecting spring-enabled
>>> packages (wars)
>>> 2. adopt the war to contain some config file the deployer looks for
>>> per convention
>>>
>>> dist-war was created with Tomcat/Jetty as targets, not JBoss
>> I'm trying to run the WAR Build on Tomcat 6.. It keeps failing with an
>> IllegalArgumentException.. Any ideas?
>>
>> JBoss 5 and Jetty Deployments create the same exception..
>>
>> The Stacktrace is:
>> ---
>> 16.02.2009 10:57:59 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
>>
>> SCHWERWIEGEND: Error deploying web application archive
>> james-server-spring-deployment-3.0-SNAPSHOT.war
>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
>> oro,excalibur-i18n,excalibur-extension-Extension-Name
>>        at java.util.jar.Attributes$Name.<init>(Attributes.java:440)
>>        at java.util.jar.Attributes.getValue(Attributes.java:99)
>>        at
>> org.apache.catalina.util.ManifestResource.getRequiredExtensions(ManifestResource.java:186)
>
> this looks very much like the war has a bad manifest
>
> i think the JEE1.3 extensions bit is broken. i don't think that the
> extensions stuff should be used anyway, so probably it would be better
> if it were removed.

as far as I debugged this, it's a problem with the manifests of some of
the jars contained in ...war!/WEB-INF/lib/ - not with the WAR itself.
As Jonas found out, when fixing (by upgrading) the jars the problems go
away, or more precisely the next bad jar generates the same problem.
But the thread (and JIRA) have a lot more info.

Or do you have something else in mind?

> can probably be fixed by a patch to the war build
> (which i assume uses maven).

it's ant, as stated up in the thread:

   cd spring-deployment
   ant dist-war

Bernd

Re: Running James inside JBoss 5.0.0 GA

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Jonas Arnsmann
<ap...@fse.uni-due.de> wrote:

hi jonas

hope you're still around ;-)

Posted by Jonas Arnsmann <ap...@fse.uni-due.de>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
<ap...@fse.uni-due.de> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin schrieb:
>  >> Would be great, if someone could provide me with some hints on this
>>>
>>> matter :)
>>
>> trunk contains a spring deployment which might well be a better bet
>>
>> there are a number of people interested in embedding trunk so if you
>> started from there, i'm sure we'd be able to get it working. 2.x is a
>> bit of a different matter, though.
>
> Building the spring deployment from the current James trunk worked fine for
> me..
> Starting ./run.sh inside the bin directory doesn't bring up any errors..
> All my custom mailets from James 2.3.1 work fine too..
> Even the config.xml only had to be slightly modified :)
>
> However i would need some help on getting the spring deployment to run
> inside Jboss?
> Has anyone done this before?
>
> Reading through http://www.jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-10783 i understand,
> that a JBoss
> Spring deployment should have this structure..
>
> my-app.spring/
>   org/
>      acme/
>          ~MyBean.class
>          ~MyBean2.class
>   META-INF/
>           jboss-spring.xml
>
> However i'm unable to find, a *.jar or *.sar file inside the dist directory,
> that would have
> this structure?

try the experimental war build in /spring-deployment.
from the checkout root do
  cd spring-deployment
  ant dist-war

> Excuse me, if some of this questions sound a little stupid, but i'm not a
> big J2EE Expert, yet :)
> Only started with JBoss a couple of weeks ago..

from a cursory look through the doc you linked to, I think you need
for JBoss to deploy the spring-based war
1. install a deployer into JBoss capable of detecting spring-enabled
packages (wars)
2. adopt the war to contain some config file the deployer looks for
per convention

dist-war was created with Tomcat/Jetty as targets, not JBoss

Pls, if you have more questions or get it working, come back to the
list and tell us :-)

HTH,
  Bernd

Posted by Jonas Arnsmann <ap...@fse.uni-due.de>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Jonas Arnsmann
>> <ap...@fse.uni-due.de> wrote:
>>> Hi..
>>
>> hi jonas
>>
>>> I'm trying to embed James 2.3.1 into an JEE5 Container (JBOSS5)
>>
>> the 2.x series is mature and in maintenance only mode now
>>
>> you'll find that trunk is a lot more sophisticated codebase than 2.3.1
>> so you might have more success starting from there
>>
>>> So far i have followed the instructions provided at:
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/james/Embedded
>>> I'm well aware, that these instructions are pretty old and might not
>>> apply to the latest JBOSS Versions.. But i just want to give it a try..
>>> It would save me from writing my own SMTP Listener for JBOSS5 :)
>>
>> SMPT may be small but is quite a tricky little protocol so that's
>> probably wise :-)
>
> I also have an application where I would need SMTP but not necessarily
> a full-fledge mail server.. Would it be possible to extract the SMTP
> code into an independent module? Similar to protocols/imap?

that was one of my long term ambitions :-)

it's not quite a simple as it might first sound since the socket work
for email protocols is a little obscure

- robert

Re: Running James inside JBoss 5.0.0 GA

Posted by Markus Wiederkehr <ma...@gmail.com>.
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Jonas Arnsmann
> <ap...@fse.uni-due.de> wrote:
>> Hi..
>
> hi jonas
>
>> I'm trying to embed James 2.3.1 into an JEE5 Container (JBOSS5)
>
> the 2.x series is mature and in maintenance only mode now
>
> you'll find that trunk is a lot more sophisticated codebase than 2.3.1
> so you might have more success starting from there
>
>> So far i have followed the instructions provided at:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/james/Embedded
>> I'm well aware, that these instructions are pretty old and might not
>> apply to the latest JBOSS Versions.. But i just want to give it a try..
>> It would save me from writing my own SMTP Listener for JBOSS5 :)
>
> SMPT may be small but is quite a tricky little protocol so that's
> probably wise :-)

I also have an application where I would need SMTP but not necessarily
a full-fledge mail server.. Would it be possible to extract the SMTP
code into an independent module? Similar to protocols/imap?

Please excuse my ignorance if this is already the case or if I
misunderstand protocols/imap. I did not investigate very thoroughly..

Markus

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
<ap...@fse.uni-due.de> wrote:
> Hi..