Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by frapien <fr...@gmx.de> on 2009/11/26 09:08:25 UTC

Performance Report for Geronimo 2.2?

Are there any plans to update the Performance Report for Geronimo 2.2?
For Geronimo 2.0 there was an old DRAFT under
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/performance/geronimo/2.0/Geronimo2.0.2PerformanceReport-v01draft.pdf

IBM has writen a performance benchmark article for the DayTrader Apps
comparing JBoss with Geronimo
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-perfbenchmk/index.htm

Thanks
Frank

Re: Performance Report for Geronimo 2.2?

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.
This summer I ran daytrader with the Ginder load test tool on several
application servers. Especially with the Two-Phase commit asynchronous
scenario there were big performance differences, I think Geronimo's
transaction throughput was a mere third of Weblogic 10.3's (same hardware).

IBM says similar of Websphere and JBoss: see slide 27 of
http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/dw/techbriefings/presentations/webspheresoa/appserver.pdf

I  recorded a scenario where a trader would log on, buy some shares, sell
them again and log out. Problem with Daytrader is that you cannot blindly
assume that you can sell shares with constant http parameters, you cannot
make a call like sell?s=1&s=2 as the link IDs are not indexes on the screen
but database row ids. To change that one would have to keep a mapping from
DB id to screen ID in the users' sessions.
So, you need a load driver that can understand semantics.

If I find some time I'm going to write a Java client for Daytrader using
commons httpclient. This client could then be called from Grinder.

Juergen

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.

I had overlooked that.

Can you also use a non-random scenario, i.e. define your own sequences of
actions?
Like login, buy, buy, sell, sell, logout

Greetings,
Juergen

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This summer I ran daytrader with the Ginder load test tool on several
> application servers. Especially with the Two-Phase commit asynchronous
> scenario there were big performance differences, I think Geronimo's
> transaction throughput was a mere third of Weblogic 10.3's (same hardware).
>
> IBM says similar of Websphere and JBoss: see slide 27 of
>
> http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/dw/techbriefings/presentations/webspheresoa/appserver.pdf
>
> I  recorded a scenario where a trader would log on, buy some shares, sell
> them again and log out. Problem with Daytrader is that you cannot blindly
> assume that you can sell shares with constant http parameters, you cannot
> make a call like sell?s=1&s=2 as the link IDs are not indexes on the screen
> but database row ids. To change that one would have to keep a mapping from
> DB id to screen ID in the users' sessions.
> So, you need a load driver that can understand semantics.

Daytrader has a single servlet entry (
http://localhost:8080/daytrader/scenario), user can use it to simulate the
complex and random user actions. With it, the http parameters are changed
dynamically and randomly. Thus, user can write simple load driver scripts to
push load on server.

Forrest

Re: Performance Report for Geronimo 2.2?

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.