Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Weiwei Yang <ww...@apache.org> on 2022/02/16 05:03:58 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Apache YuniKorn (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Hi Incubator Community

After the discussion in the YuniKorn community [1], and passed the
community vote [2][3]. We have started the discussion in the
general@incubator list [4]. Based on all positive feedback received, we
would like to start this voting thread to request graduating the YuniKorn
project from the incubator as a TLP.

Please provide your vote as one of the following options:

[ ] +1 - Recommend graduation of Apache YuniKorn as a TLP
[ ]  0 -  I don't feel strongly about it, but don't object
[ ] -1 - Do not recommend the graduation of Apache YuniKorn because…

The VOTE will remain open for at least 72 hours.

To summarize what the YuniKorn community has achieved in the incubating
phase:

   - 6 releases were done by 6 different releases managers.
   - 41 unique code contributors and over 1300+ commits.
   - A growing community that added 2 new mentors, 10 new committers, 4 new
   PPMC from 6 different organizations
   - A diverse community that has 6 mentors, 23 PPMC, and 29 committers
   from at least 14 different organizations [5]
   - Well documented web site [6]
   - The maturity self-assessment [7]

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/dno411y59g2pcy1d3kd7s3kdjz9jw65n
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/gx5dmb4yqkw1dfvzf2l91gwhobx6g81m
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/dfvdk3dc82pvopxc28h6p4wdgp0xcfk2
[4] https://lists.apache.org/thread/o8y4b3mp21f608745ngqqdhc628qtwxf
[5] https://yunikorn.apache.org/community/people
[6] https://yunikorn.apache.org/
[7] https://yunikorn.apache.org/community/maturity

Establish the Apache YuniKorn Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to a standalone resource scheduler responsible for scheduling
batch jobs and long-running services on large scale distributed systems
running in on-premises environments as well as different public clouds.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache YuniKorn Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache YuniKorn Project be and hereby is responsible
for the creation and maintenance of software related to a standalone
resource scheduler responsible for scheduling batch jobs and
long-running services on large scale distributed systems running in
on-premises environments as well as different public clouds; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache YuniKorn" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache YuniKorn
Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the
projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache YuniKorn
Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache YuniKorn
Project:

 * Akhil PB                <ak...@apache.org>
 * Arun Suresh             <as...@apache.org>
 * Carlo Curino            <cu...@apache.org>
 * Chaoran Yu              <yu...@apache.org>
 * Chenya Zhang            <ch...@apache.org>
 * Craig Condit            <cc...@apache.org>
 * DB Tsai                 <db...@apache.org>
 * Felix Cheung            <fe...@apache.org>
 * Holden Karau            <ho...@apache.org>
 * Jason Darrell Lowe      <jl...@apache.org>
 * Jonathan Hung           <jh...@apache.org>
 * Junping Du              <ju...@apache.org>
 * Kinga Marton            <km...@apache.org>
 * Konstantinos Karanasos  <kk...@apache.org>
 * Luciano Resende         <lr...@apache.org>
 * Subramaniam Krishnan    <su...@apache.org>
 * Sunil G                 <su...@apache.org>
 * Tao Yang                <ta...@apache.org>
 * Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>
 * Wangda Tan              <wa...@apache.org>
 * Wei-Chiu Chuang         <we...@apache.org>
 * Weiwei Yang             <ww...@apache.org>
 * Wilfred Spiegelenburg   <wi...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Weiwei Yang be appointed to
the office of Vice President, Apache YuniKorn, to serve in accordance
with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the
Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the Apache YuniKorn Project be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator YuniKorn
podling; and be it further

IncubatorYuniKorn podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are
hereafter
discharged.

Thank you
Regards

Weiwei on behalf of the Apache YuniKorn (incubating) community

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache YuniKorn (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Weiwei Yang <ww...@apache.org>.
Hi Calvin

Thanks for the suggestion.
We've discussed this in the past, but because that was a pretty early stage
so we did not create another mailing list to manage.
But now since the community grows much bigger, I think we are going to
revisit this and discuss this. Thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated!

Posted by Calvin Kirs <ki...@apache.org>.

--
Best wishes!
CalvinKirs

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache YuniKorn (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org>.

Posted by Calvin Kirs <ki...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Glad to hear it, I looked at the mailing list, Github、JIRA. as well as the
release version and maturity assessment, and I think YuniKorn is ready to
graduate.

Weiwei Yang <ww...@apache.org> 于2022年2月16日周三 13:04写道:

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.
+1 (no binding)

Good luck!

heng du <du...@apache.org> 于2022年2月17日周四 17:40写道:

Posted by heng du <du...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

I would also like to mention that the Yunikorn community has a Slack
channel with more than 150 members, and is full of constant message flows.
Two community meetups were held recently.

All the evidence suggests that the project is able to sustain itself and
grow beyond.

Regards,
Weichiu

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding) from me,

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Eason Chen <ch...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Regards,
Eason

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Lionel Liu <li...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Uma gangumalla <um...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Regards,
Uma

Posted by Weiwei Yang <ww...@apache.org>.
Thank you all for participating in the vote, we are closing the vote now.
We got 8 binding +1 votes and 6 non-binding +1 votes, no +0 or -1 votes.

Binding  (8)
 - Luciano Resende
 - Xun Liu
 - Felix Cheung